A personal recollection of Steve Ditko by Chuck Dixon:

http://www.chuckdixon.net/2018/07/steve-ditko.html

While Dixon probably speaks for the majority, I much preferred Ditko's pre-Marvel work, and Doctor Strange. And my favorite series work by Ditko was on THE CREEPER.

While pretty much everyone cites Spider-man as their favorite, I felt Ditko's greatest gift was the surrealism he brought to comics. What I liked best in Spider-man was his introvertedness, and sense of being shunned and rejected, even when he wasn't. That lack of confidence and angst I think every reader could relate to, particularly every adolescent and teenage reader. And it's quite a display of Ditko's range of artistic ability that he was simultaneously doing a very real-world introspective SPIDER-MAN at the same time he was doing a very other-worldly surrealistic DOCTOR STRANGE. Both those series are at their absolute best when their creators look back to the original Ditko model (I think on DOCTOR STRANGE 46 and 48-73, the issues scripted by Roger Stern. And likewise the Stern issues of AMAZING SPIDERMAN 224-251, and by Mantlo/Hannigan in SPECTACULAR SPIDERMAN 60-72. Although there are a number of other great runs on Spider-man titles.)