That Colletta letter reminds me of another resignation letter by Dave Cockrum to Marvel in 1979, that some prankster in the Marvel Bullpen turned into butler Jarvis' resignation letter in IRON MAN 127, after an alcoholic Tony Stark verbally abused Jarvis.

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-46/

I find it really hard to believe that substituting Cockrum's resignation letter was a mistake.

There are a few other stories from that era, such as Frank Brunner's resignation in 1976, Craig Russell's in 1976, and a Jim Starlin interview in COMIC BOOK ARTIST where he describes, in the same 1976-1978 period, the mocking signs with paste-up art on Jack Kirby stories (i.e., "The stupidest story ever written!!" and so forth) where he lamented the very bad treatment he observed, behind Kirby's back, of an aging creator who was arguably the greatest proponent in building the industry they were all employed in.

All these things combined make me think that even in the peak years where Marvel created some of the stories I love most, there were some really mean people working there.