I have to say, at least back in the day, Neal Adams did script some good stories. Of the four SPECTRE issues Adams drew in 1968, Adams scripted SPECTRE 4 and 5. (Issue 2 was by Gardner Fox. Issue 3 was by Mike Friedrich, the best of the four).

Adams began writing issues of STRANGE ADVENTURES (Deadman), when the series was suffering from not having a steady writer. I think this was Adams' best writing effort. Adams scripted issues 212-216, which were on a par with the best previous issues.
STRANGE ADVENTURES 213 in particular I find one of the best issues of the series.
And also (less impressive) was writer/artist on Deadman backup stories in AQUAMAN 50-52.

Adams also both wrote and illustrated another good story, "Holocaust", in EPIC ILLUSTRATED 7. It was originally to be a Power Records book, was in inventory for 10 years, and completely rewritten for its published form.

To support your argument, G-man: SKATEMAN # 1 (and mercifully, the only issue).

And really, just about any of his Continuity comics of the 1980's/early 1990's make your argument. The art was decent, if often garishly colored. But the Adams writing in those 1980's Continuity stories was like a throwback to something out of a mid/late 1960's DC comic. They were like stories that appeared 20 years late, out of a time vortex.