(7) SAMOA JOE vs. REY MYSTERIO JR. – U.S. Title match

Booker T was out to do guest commentary for the next match. Phillips noted that this was Joe’s first WrestleMania match. Joe gave Rey a running kick to the head and then some headbutts. Rey went for a springboard head scissors and landed a 619. Rey climbed to the top rope and leaped at Joe, but Joe avoided him and applied a Coquina Clutch. Rey’s arm dropped and he called for the bell. Booker said Rey wasn’t 100 percent, but he wrestled to represent his country. (The United States?)

WINNER: Joe in 1:00 to retain the U.S. Title.

I like Joe getting a dominant fast win. If Rey was too injured to go long, this is a good way to get something out of that – which is a strong win for Joe.

(8) ROMAN REIGNS vs. DREW MCINTYRE

Drew came out first. The announcers talked him up. Then Reigns came out. Hard to tell on TV what the response was. Cole talked up Reigns and said he was a near unstoppable force since returning to WWE. He got an elaborate fireworks show rivaling Kofi’s for his WWE Title win. Kofi and Drew faced off. Drew slapped Drew hard before Drew could land his first punch.

After several methodical minutes of Drew on offense, Reigns fought back by knocking a trash-talking Drew off balance on the top rope. Reigns headbutted Drew upside down. Drew sat up and overhead tossed Reigns to the mat. Drew sat up. Renee said that’s a place where Roman needed to capitalize, but he failed. Drew went back to trash-talking Roman, saying he gave him an opportunity to get out of this match, but he refused to quit. Drew set up a butterfly suplex suplex and yelled “This one is for Ambrose!” Reigns blocked it, but Drew slapped him. Reigns shook off the snap and began huffing and puffing a bit. He adjusted his jaw and then nailed Drew with a hard clothesline. Drew rolled to ringside, then yanked Reigns to ringside. Reigns gave him a Samoan drop on the floor. Back in the ring Reigns delivered a flying clothesline and then signaled for the Superman Punch. Drew avoided it and headbutted Reigns. Reigns then landed a Superman Punch. Not much response. Reigns looked up and then yelled for the spear. He spread Drew for the win.

WINNER: Reigns in 9:00. (*3/4)

Ehh. The response to Reigns was at best just sort of there. Some cheers, some boos, and it seemed a lot of indifference. The match was paced in a way that reenforced that indifference, although it seemed designed in Vince McMahon’s fantasy as a relentless heel beat down with a chance for the crowd to explode when Roman went into his comeback routine. It didn’t happen. It was a match that did nothing to get fans who weren’t really excited about Roman any more excited that this is some new chapter for him. For Drew, it defined him down a notch, although losing to Vince’s favorite top act shouldn’t be seen that way, I suppose. I think what we learned is both Roman and Drew are better facing wrestlers more different than each other, not this similar. It was just bland. I guess I should be happy there were so few Superman Punches at least.

Last edited by PixieP; 2019-04-08 9:00 PM. Reason: Left out match by accident. Must've blinked since it was over in a minute.

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo Forum- Come for the games...stay for TEH DRAMA!!!