https://www.foxnews.com/world/trump-joins-european-leaders-for-75th-anniversary-of-d-day

Quote:
President Trump paid stirring homage Thursday to the brave Allied fighters who "stood in the fires of hell" to help turn the tide of World War II, speaking at the edge of Omaha Beach in Normandy, France, where thousands of men stormed the shore 75 years ago in a relentless onslaught that was both a suicide mission and a historic triumph of good over evil.

The speech, in which Trump and the first lady joined leaders from Britain, Canada, France - and Germany - to pay homage to the troops who turned the tide of the war, capped a somber day and a string of events commemorating the legendary battle in which Allied soldiers and sailors overcame impossible odds and made unimaginable sacrifices.

“Today we remember those who fell and we honor all who fought right here in Normandy. They won back this ground for civilization," Trump said.

“To more than one hundred and seventy veterans of the Second World War who join us today – you are among the very greatest Americans who will ever live," he added. "You are the pride of our nation. You are the glory of our republic. And we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.”

Trump, who was joined by French President Emmanuel Macron, lauded the courage of Allied soldiers and recounted stories of heroism from the epic battle, in which 4,414 Allied troops – including 2,501 Americans - were killed. One of the U.S. veterans who attended the ceremony, Ray Lambert, was a 23-year-old medic at the time and would go on to win three Purple Hearts and write a book, "Every Man a Hero," about his role in the event.

“In defeating that evil, they left a legacy that will last forever,” Trump said, concluding the somber speech. “To the men who sit behind me, your example will never grow old. Your legend will never die. The blood that they spilled, the tears that they shed, the lives that they gave, the sacrifice that they made, did not just win a battle, it did not just win a war… they won the survival of our civilization."

I was touched by the grattitude of President Macron and the French people. In the part of the coverage I watched, they reported that every U.S. grave on the beach there is adopted and cared for by a separate French family.