Back on the subject of Namor as an 80-year-old character, I think Stan Lee did a remarkably good job of bringing Golden Age Timely/Marvel characters into Marvel's 1960's Silver Age:

* Sub-Mariner had multiple good stories in FANTASTIC FOUR (issues 4, 6, 9, 14, 27, 33, and ANNUAL 1) it was only when Namor got his own monthly series that he turned dull, largely for me due to the lackluster Gene Colan art.
* The Golden Age Human Torch (an android) was brought out of mothballs and re-created as the Vision in AVENGERS 57.
* And Captain America frozen for 20 years in a block of ice, and worshipped by Eskimos, a cult viewed with disdain by Namor, so Namor threw him 15 years after freezing in an ice block into the ocean to thaw, where he is pulled out and rescued by the Avengers (in AVENGERS 4 in 1964).

All these are enduring classics in the Marvel canon. (I don't recall Lee's earlier Dec 1953- Oct 1955 attempts to revive these characters ever being reprinted. The 22nd OVERSTREET PRICE GUIDE, 1992, has a great and lengthy 17-page article on that Atlas/Marvel transition period, from 1953-1962)