Regarding your sugestion, G-man, I've wondered why more comics adaptations into movies or animated series don't follow the art style of the comics they originally appeared in. That seems to me to be the most natural way to adapt them. With the loose visuals in Sin City and 300 movie adaptations, I'm hard-pressed to think of another that tries in any way to visually adapt the style of the comic art into any of the movie adaptations.

But on the subject of Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter, like yourself G-man, I read these as they came out serialized in DETECTIVE COMICS 437-443, in 8-page segments that left you hungry for the next issue, that you had to wait 60 days for. With a 20-page finale in issue 443 that had remarkable closure for that timee. There was a very visual and cinematic style with action spread across a lot of small panels on a single page. You could see its creators put a lot of thought and time into it.

And while I like the 1984 collected one-shot reprint issue, it was colored by Klaus Janson, and I still prefer the colors in the original serialized issues.

If you're still out there reading, T-Dave, there's also an 8 X 11" magazine size reprint of this story in black-and-white that came out in 1979 or 1980 you might like. At that time, the only collected edition available.

Around 2000, DC had another reprint edition of the series, with 15 or 20 pages of a new Goodwin/Simonson story that I thought was overpriced, and the new story a very mediocre offering. I much prefer the 1984 reprint edition. I believe this new edition came out not long after Goodwin had died.