Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
I haven’t heard what you’re hearing from the news media. If we’re speaking about the media generally, there is genuine concern about avoiding becoming like Italy where the virus has overwhelmed them.

We can agree on that 100%. The difference is, part of your party is working with atrump and understands that this is a new virus, and even the experts at the CDC is laboring to catch up in time.

Whereas there are Democrats and the liberal media (as on display at the Coronavirus press conference today) who are viciously trying to blame Trump as a higher priority than surviving.

Originally Posted By: M E M
I can see that closing everything down itself causes economic damage but as you say it would be worse if things were kept open.

Again, we agree on that.

As it is our country doesn’t have the testing capacity even now to really know how much of it has spread.

As that is phrased, I again agree. Tests have been a long time coming, and CDC has made it clear that they (not Trump) internally made the decision to use the availaable WHO tests because they were considered unreliable. But it was dumb not to use them until CDC had developed an alternative. I don't understand the obsession with blaming that on Trump. Even the day he gave assurances they were already out, his own Coronavirus task force officials made clear they were not.

I think states need to all adopt a shelter in place for a chance to really slow this virus down.

I don't understand what you mean in that part. You mean just not going outside? That's what I'm doing, trying not to go outside for any reason. Whether it is ordered, I have food and water for several weeks, and am behaving as if a complete lockdown was ordered. By doing so I'm protecting myself and others.
I think like Seattle and New York, that total lockdown will be called for South Florida too, and preventively for much of the nation.

These days I pretty much assume I have it and keep away from everyone I can btw. And I’m still very much angry that our President downplayed this threat.

Again, on Jan 31, Trump ordered cessation of all flights from China. I don't know how much more of a warning flate he could have fired. I can agree he intermittently made some loose comments that were not consistent with that, and again, I wish he was more consistent. But he didn't say anything that wasn't said by officials of the experts at CDC and elsewhere. That the annual flu generally kills more people than previous new-virus outbreaks like Swine Flu in 2009. That there was a good chance it could go away on its own with hot weather, as other new strains have. Both those things were said by other Doctors and officials. That said, I still wish Trump was more consistent on those being possible best case scenarios, while consistently advocating the greatest preparation for the worst.
But again, I think you blame Trump too much for that. NO ONE until early/mid February knew how contagious this strain would be, no advance information from China, only when it spread to South Korea and was finally receding as aa threat did South Korea tell us what they'd found. Trump and th CDC didn't know that yet when earlier comments were made.

And also, when Trump put a ban on flights from China, Democrats and the liberal media railed on him and said he was over-reacting, that Trump is a racist, and Biden is still saying he would not have implemented a flight ban, let alone secured our southern border. How coinsistently "serious" were/are the Democrats and liberal media? There is plenty of inconsistency to go around.

Glad he’s changed his tone but while this was growing in this country I heard so many people at work echo what he said. And even with a more serious tone he still lies about potential drugs and how fast they can actually be out.

That's not true. Trump is optimistic that these therapies can be produced. I've even seen many doctors interviewed like Dr. Nicole Safier, and Dr. Oz, and others, say a week ago they were despairing, but now they see these things approaching readiness.

The anti-virals are already FDA approved and used for other illnesses, so the medicine is on the shelves, how is that "a lie"? Hydroxychloroquine has been in use to treat Malaria since 1944. Long approved by the FDA, and already available.

The blood serum that has already been tested with alleged 100% success, even in previously ill Covid-19 patients is arguably ready to be tried on actual patients. Dr Fauci at today's press conference said that may be true, but as a medical official, he would prefer it be thorougly blind-trial tested before treating patients with it.

Still taking swipes at dems and the media.
 Originally Posted By: WB

That doesn't happen in a vaccuum. Dems slanderously and relentlessly blame Trump, and call him incompetent in handling Coronavirus, and then act shocked and outraged when he defends himself and fires back.
But as I said above, even some liberals, and certainly Fauci and the CDC, recognize that Trump suspending China flights was the single smartest move Trump made, that kept the early numbers low, buying the CDC time to prepare.

The criticism has to be tweaked now that the illusion of having this contained or under control is gone. Shit bag takes no responsibility for anything he says or does but nothing new there.

Enough with the "Shitbag" already. You invalidate your own arguments with that clear irrational hatred.

While not scoring 100%, Trump has still done far more than I think any Democrat or Republican president would have done. His bans on Chinese flights, and now European flights, were a time-buying measure that no one else would have implemented. Trump's massive mobilization of retail drugstore companies as a private-sector, support for drive-through testing. Army medical teams, the army corps of engineers, partnering with GM, Ford and Tesla to maanufacture thousands of respirators. No other president has done that in the past, or probably would have thought of those things. Geez, man, give the guy a little credit where it's due.

I'm on the fence whether it will be enough, but it's far more than any other recent president could have even imagined doing to prepare.
Certainly not the Democrats, who are all about centralized government power, and would never think to work with private businesses volunteer. Not Gore, not Kerry, not Obama, Biden or any 2020 candidate. They still demonize Trump as a racist for saving U.S. lives with the ban! Dems/media can't even bring themselves to praise Trump for what is widely seen as Trump's most strategic move. Even with the virus threat and a crashing economy, Trump still has 56% approval, up about 10 points since the crisis began.

They are judged evil and rich by Bernie Sanders. But while wanting to drain their wealth with txation, Sanders has a $3 million personal fortune, royalty checks, and a 2nd-home summer cabin, no less!
I see a gap in logic there. But in any case