Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20200...s-urge-desantis

That article from the palm beach post is titled about democrats urging shelter in place in Florida. I sincerely hope your state isn’t overwhelmed WB but not doing a shelter in place almost makes it a certainty.

Governor Desantis is a Republican, yes, and Democrat legislators are urging him to give a shelter-in-place order, yes.
The Palm Beach County officials are likewise sitting on their hands:

Quote:
While Boca Raton on Tuesday became the first city in the county to close all non-essential businesses, Palm Beach County commissioners were silent about their plans.

County Administrator Verdenia Baker did not respond to phone calls asking whether such a restriction, already in place in Broward and Miami-Dade counties, is being considered here. The county’s vice mayor, Robert Weinroth, said Monday the county was looking at it but was loathe to further impact county residents’ lives.

Palm Beach County administrator Verdenia Baker, mentioned in the article:
http://discover.pbcgov.org/administration/Pages/default.aspx

Palm Bch County vice mayor Robert Weinroth:
http://discover.pbcgov.org/countycommissioners/district4/Pages/default.aspx

Party affiliation is not listed, but the likelihood is that black and Jewish officials are not Republicans. I side with Democrat legislators in wanting Desantis to order a shelter-in-place for the state. But it is not just Republican governor Desantis who is obstructing this from happening.

Thank you for the well-wishing.

In China,, the spread came from an annual festival in Wuhan that brought in 5 million visitors to a city of 11 million, and seeded spread to the rest of China and internationally.
In northern Italy, there was a soccer game attended by 60,000 people, including tourists from China, where it spread from Italy to Germany, France, Spain and the rest of Europe.
To my knowledge, there is not a similar event that would seed such a massive sudden spread in the U.S., but complacency could allow it to spread more rapidly.
Actually, there is one I can think of: New Orleans. The Mardi-Gras celebrations brought in massive visitors to the city, that is now considered "the next epicenter" from where it can spread as these people return to other regions, in particular the major cities in next-door Texas. Common sense is anyone who attended Mardi-Gras should be tested or self-quarantined, to diminish that potential threat.

With New York, it was only the last few days that massive testing began that they bacame aware how widespread Covid-19 infection is. And I saw a news report quoting social media posts by N Y mayor DeBlasio as recently as early/mid March openly boasted about defying the outbreak and going to the theatre and other social events, and inviting other New Yorkers to do the same. So it isn't just Republicans or Fox news who have early on taken the outbreak lightly.

Regardless of party, I urge our elected leaders taking uniform simultaneous nation-wide maximum precautions to stamp out out a potentially deadly Covid-19 outbreak, before it has the ability to get any worse. We've already seen it ravage other whole nations, with 400-800 deaths a day. We don't want this to get any worse. I've already called and written e-mail letters to all these officials.
And it disturbs me that even if Florida shelters-in-place, that other cities and states won't, and even when ordered won't comply. That will just prolong the outbreak for the entire nation. And endanger more lives.