Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
I’m glad your state has followed suit in the shelter at home fight WB. It would have been more helpful to have all the states do so earlier together. This stuff is so much more contagious than regular flu so having just some shelter in place just isn’t enough.

That much we can also agree on. That an effective containment of the Covid-19 outbreak has to be a uniform policy across all 50 states. Half-measures just guarantee there will continue to be breakout pockets that will be a problem later. Florida for example. Where in less than two weeks, it has gone from the first few cases, to 100-200 cases a week ago, to 7,000 cases now.

I've noticed two things that make the virus explode with huge clusters of new cases:
1) A huge social festival, like the one involving about 11 million people in Wuhan, China, where a mass number of people were exposed, and then travelled back to other parts of China and the world, spreading the virus. Similarly, some of those infected attended a soccer game in a stadium of 60,000 people in Northern Italy. Then a huge Chinatown festival in New York City. And more recently, an explosive new outbreak of cases after the Mardi Gras festival in New Orleans. The two key things that escalated the outbreak in Florida were out-of-state travellers, mostly from New York, and huge crowds of spring breakers in the bars and beaches.

and
2) spread by travellers from infected regions, that seed a small cluster of new cases, until a crowd event allows that pocket to explode. I read that in South Korea where they aggressively test, one woman refused to be tested, and then attended a church event, and they think that this one woman spread the virus to 1,000 people in South Korea. Just because she refused testing and self-isolation, one person.

Florida finally got with the plan, there are 16 other states that have not issued a uniform "shelter-in-place" order.