Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
I think it would have been a good idea to really push the states to all issue one g if Trump doesn’t have the authority. Again it’s sort of like having a peeing section in a swimming pool. But not only is he not pushing the states that haven’t issued shelter in place orders he’s defended them.

I'm also in favor of a unified national shelter-at-home order. I think the daily press conferences of the Coronavirus task force are finally getting all states to comply.
I think it was influential on Desantis finally doing a statewide shelter order, 11 days too late in my opinion.

I think there are only 5 states at this point that have not (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, and Arkansas) The first two have mostly rural populations of less than aa million people, Nebraska 2 million, Iowa 4 million, Arkansa 3 million. While I think it's a good idea to shelter at home, these are places that might not have the same potential as urban areas to spread infection.

Here's a lengthy article from the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel detailing the preparation for the pandemic, with lessons learned from the New York outbreak, and assessing Florida's readiness.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/...4exe-story.html

The delay in testing ability is deeply frustrating. To me it's eaither 1) do a lot of testing as South Korea did, with which you're able to find the clusters of infected people and quarantine them, while keeping the rest of the country open, or 2) in the absence of testing, you don't know who's infected, so you shelter-at-home the whole population early on to stop the spread. Gov Desantis did neither, and here we are. We'll just have to wait and see how bad the damage is. He issued a shelter-at-home April 2nd, so it will be 2 weeks until those infected before that show symptoms and we know how extensive the infections are in Florida.
This article makes clear what the anticipated hospitalizations and ventilators are expected to be. I hope that's an over-estimate, but we won't know for a while. They're talking about a peak in "early May". That's well past April 30th.