What gay comics topic would be complete without mentioning HULK magazine issue 23, Oct 1980. The story where Bruce Banner is living in New York City, staying under the radar less visibly at the local YMCA, where two gay men attempt to rape him in the shower room. Story by Jim Shooter, art by John Buscema/ Alfredo Alcala.
Enhanced by a striking Walt Simonson cover.

You can see by multiple letters pages in subsequent issues that the story generated a lot of backlash and hostility from gay readers. Despite that such rapes do occur.

My own experience writing about gay issues when I wrote editorials in the early/mid 1990's is that gays are the most intolerant, militant, organized and threatening of any political/demographic group. And in the three years of my column, and I wrote about a great many other political and controversial issues, such as the Bill Clinton election, Rodney King and the L.A. riots, genocide in Bosnia, anti-Christian bias in the media, illegal immigration and many other issues. Only with the one column I did on gays in the military and Bill Clinton's introduction of "don't ask, don't tell" did my editor and publisher both receive threatening phone calls. Both were visibly intimidated, I was not. I wrote back to anyone who wrote letters, and was willing to meet any reader or advertiser. Copies of our magazine were stolen from the coin-distribution newstand racks, and one angry reader left a message "You published a story, and now you're going to pay the price."

Which surprised me, because it was a 3-page editorial about gays in the military and detailing Bill Clinton's concession to gays with "don't ask/don't tell" policy, a concession Clinton made to pay off gay activists who were among his largest political campaign donors in the 1992 election. Those are just facts.
I laid out: this is how gays see the issue, and this is how conservatives see the issue, giving what I thought was fair representation of both sides, and concluding "thereign lies a diametric opposition of two belief systems, as divided as those over which the bloodiest of wars are fought."
And that gays in the military was not where it would end, that it was a beach-head for advancing homosexual ideology, using gays in the military as a state-endosed precedent that could be used to force mainstream concessions to gay advocates across the entire American mainstream.
That was early 1992, and that was clearly factual when I wrote it. And that gay agenda has been expanded way beyond my wildest imaginings: Gay marriage, gay adoption, forcing Christian bakeries and photographers to participate in gay weddings against their beliefs, or be fined out of business. Forcing Catholic schools and hospitals to fund birth control and abortion against their beliefs. Basically forcing the Boy Scouts out of business nationwide for refusing to admit gay scout leaders (who would do so to recruit or force themselves on young boys.)

It was my first taste of how gay activists are the frontline storm troopers of the radical Left, who are utterly intolerant and unquestionably threatening to the slightest dissent, and even threatening to those who just give a balanced representation to conservative/Christian views in the same article. Any and all dissent has to be silenced. It was the exact point where I ceased to be passively accepting of gays as a political force, and opened my eyes to how intolerant and militantly threatening they truly are, to any dissenting views. There was an incident a few years later where the New York school system removed children's books like "Heather Has Two Mommies" that introduced children at a young age to the gay lifestyle. Parents objected and protested until the books were removed, and as a result there were some car bombs set off by the displaced gay activists in a show of intimidation. I definitely related when I saw that on the news.

And the backlash to this HULK story in 1980 was just a softer precursor to just how intolerant and threatening gay activists would become by 1992. And even more so now. Not just gays, but the entire radicalized Bolshevik Left.