The last few days, I initially heard that Biden would select a running mate by May 1st. Now I'm hearing that they'll begin a V.P. selection-committee to begin the process on May 1st or early May.

The V.P. in this case is far more important than usual, given Biden's age, and both Biden's mental and physical fragility. The likelihood that Biden would die in office, and the V.P. would actually become president (in the hypothetical possibility that Biden could actually be elected) is quite high.

Biden has made clear he wants to select a woman, and I don't recall the exact words, but has implied he leans toward selecting a woman of color.

Two early suggestions :

One is Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretchen_Whitmer
Although with her arbitrary, illogical, authoritarian, and outright partisan bullying of Michigan citizens with coronavirus sheltering laws, I hope she has eliminated herself as a choice. But from a Democrat point of view, she governs a swing state, and selecting her could help Biden to win Michigan in Nov 2020. That Trump won in 2016.

Another is Stacy Abrams.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacey_Abrams
Who I see as a vicious radical leftist idealogue, highly controversial, and prone toward race baiting. As I recall, Biden never suggested her as a possibility, but Abrams in a televised interview offered herself (in all modesty) as a "highly qualified" candidate for V.P., and implied that Biden is a racist if he doesn't pick her. Yeah, that should help her chances.... She is a poisonous leftist radical, whose first impulse at every turn is to accuse any who run against her as racist, and any who defeat her of winning by unlawful and racist means.

I think Democrats remain orgasmic at the possibility of selecting Michelle Obama as V.P., or even as Presidential candidate, if she even wanted the job.

I'd consider a good candidate to be one who
1) has executive experience, and proven accomplishments in a role as executive
2) has a unifying national message, and is not a poisonous demagogue
3) Comes from a key battleground state, and therefore brings a greater possibility of winning her home state and other states in the region.

While Michelle Obama is just as ideologically poisonous as husband Barack Obama or Stacy Abrams, she is perceived (through lack of media coverage of her public comments and radical history since college) as moderate and is very liked in the polls, and has name reccognition as the former first lady. First ladies all tend to be more popular than their husbands.

Amy Klobuchar is a midwestern former 2020 candidate, who has executive experience.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Klobuchar
And while having some red meat partisan rhetoric, is less prone to partisanship than others in her party. And seems faairly accomplished as a former executive leader. I'd consider her, but the Democrats likely would not, because she is white.

Tulsi Gabbard is another I consider, while left-leaning, less extreme in her rhetoric, more of an independent thinker, and as a Major in the National Guard, more able to step in as commander in chief to replace Biden. And as a pacific-islander, fits the "woman of color" checkbox.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsi_Gabbard
But as the Democrat party and liberal media tried so desperately to destroy her as a 2020 candidate, she is not likely to be selected as V.P., despite that she is among the least extreme and most palatable V.P. choices.
While I like her on some levels, she lost me at amnesty for illegals, de-criminalizing illegal immigration, and taxpayer-funded healthcare for illegals. Her hand went up with all the other 2020 Democrat candidates at the debates to this question.

So who would anyone else choose ideally as a V.P. for Biden?

And more realistically, who do you think Biden (or the behind-the-scenes hand-wringers who make Biden's decisions for him) will choose?
The window will likely close on this speculation within a week or two at most.