Originally Posted By: M E M

I remember seeing a lot of packed open beaches for spring break at a time Desantis certainly knew Coronavirus was highly contagious. I think that makes it clear he chose that over public safety. That doesn’t deserve praise imho.

At the time of spring break in early March, states were not even considering a shutdown. I recall there was increasingly a call for that nationwide in late March, As I recall Desantis finally ordered a stay-at-home lockdown to go into effect April 2nd. That was maybe a week after some other states began to shut down, and many others shut down long after Florida. I felt it was a bit slow and in the absence of available testing, I made clear in my comments then I wanted the lockdown.
But now, as demonstrated in other nations like Sweden, and states in the U.S. that never fully locked down, locking down or not didn't result in any significant difference in numbers.

I don't see that there is a case to make that Desantis was any less concerned about public safety than other governors. In retrospect, he made a good decision to focus early on with protecting the most vulnerable in nursing homes. As compared with NY, NJ, CT, RI, PA, MI and other states who had far higher deaths, particularly among the elderly. I don't understand the reluctance to give Desantis credit, in a state with a larger population than New York state and a far larger over-65 population, where he has managed far lower numbers of cases and deaths.
Whereas PA, NY and NJ in particular, turned elderly nursing homes into incubators of death. And in Cuomo's case, he re-wwrote the law after-the-fact to exonerate himself of liability for the deaths he caused!
And likewise, the PA health dept director assured the public of PA nursing home safety, while quietly moving her own 95 year old mother out to safety, while creating the situation where so many others' elderly parents died due to what she clearly knew was a danger she created, while giving public assurances she knew were false.

Sorry I skimmed the thread and you put it more as Dems wishing coronavirus and recession on the country. Not a big difference imho but I do recognize I misstated what you said unintentionally.

I appreciate the retraction. I do think there's a huge difference in believing Democrat leadership wants people sick or dead (that I never said).
And that I see Democrats as clearly exploiting the lockdowns to hurt Trump economically, that some (not all) Democrats have clearly expressed publicly in the media.
I find it highly suspect that Democrat governors in NY, NJ, Maine, MI, CA are tyranically fighting "against the actual science" to keep lockdowns going, when again, comparing infections in European countries and in U.S. states that didn't lock down are virtually the same as those that did, persuasively making the argument that lockdowns aren't having an effect, other than wrecking the economy.
I'm frankly amazed that the stock market (which initially peaked at 29,551 on Feb 12th, before tanking 10,000 points to 19,173 on March 20th) has already climbed back to about 35,550 this week, and only slightly down to about 35,400 right now. Which is about only 4,000 points from its all-time high.

Likewise, in spite of Covid-19, the country is already coming back economically. Despite Dems' attempts to keep it shut down. Without "science" to back it up, I don't understand the logic of a continued shutdown... except y'know... hate Trump!

While I'm certainly not going to restaurants or bars or crowded beaches anytime soon, I understand that those under 45 are at a much lower risk. So many of them have no inhibitions, and have weighed whether the risk is worth the reward.

I saw a doctor on Laura Ingraham's show last night who said that about 10,000 a week will continue to die if infection continues at the current rate for three months, and that would be another 180,000 by September. But lockdown or no, that rate will remain the same. Most people get Covid-19 from being home with someone who is sick, not from going to a crowded beach in 85-degree weather, where (as a CDC official cited) the virus lives about 75 seconds outside a host.
Ingraham argues that it is on a downward trend, though, and she doesn't see it lasting that long, citing the swift departure of SARS and other similar outbreaks of other coronaviruses. Both Ingraham and the Dr. cited the need to rush clinical testing of Hydroxychloroquine and other treatments, to loweer those numbers regardless. I find it infuriating that over 2 months (April-May) where 2000-2700 a day were dying that Hydroxychloroquine wasn't used more. One doctor (Smith, also interviewed by Ingraham this week) said of the hundreds he treated with hydroxychloroquine, over 91% recovered. Imagine the last 3 months where 91% got that treatment and survived. And yet... CDC and NIH officialss didn't even do a clinical study in that 3 months!
There is some weird conspiracy against Hydroxychloroquine, when doctors in 30 other countries recommend it as their drug of choice to save Covid-19 patients. Some countries even give it out for free! But Fauci, Redfield and other officials and political leaders obstruct its use and testing, despite that it has been proven safe and heavily prescribed since 1955 for Lupus, Malaria, Lyme disease and Arthritis.

Interesting that just today I see Trump going after Twitter because it dared to fact check him while he’s got his toady at the justice department investigating something legal like unmasking. Something like lying to the FBI, a federal crime though isn’t worth pursuing. And that’s just today. I think true greatness is hard to destroy and FDR is certainly that. Social Security to this day allow more seniors to enjoy retirement instead of dying in poverty. That’s just one of the things FDR was able to accomplish that republicans hate him for. Evil is not wanting people to get off a cruise ship because it will make the official number go up. And it’s all on tape WB. After we’re all long dead history will see Trump’s “greatness” for itself.

Barr is far too respected and accomplished a lawyer to dismiss as a "toady". He's made it clear he enforces the rule of law, and whether Dems or the media or Trump himself tries to obstruct the law, he will walk away.
It's quite clear that Obama officials (39 of them unmasking Flynn alone!!) had a very unusually high amount of politically motivated unmaskings. Far higher than in either the W. Bush or Trump administrations. That warrants further investigation. I don't know what you're implying about Trump (implied, not factually cited) but it's clear the corruption all the way up and down the chain in the Obama administration.
And with Sally Yates' Jan 5 2017 memo, it clearly involves Barack Obama himself in orchestrating the set-up of Flynn. Obama, Biden, Comey, Yates, Clapper, Rice, Brennan were all in that conspiratorial meeting.
Likewise the August 2016 texts between Peter Strzok and Lisa Page: "POTUS wants to see everything we are working on."

FDR prolonged the Great Depression with his New Deal programs. He is given credit for ending the Great Depression, but right up till 1941 it dragged on, only ended by war production for Britain and then Russia. And then U.S. direct involvement in the war. Mark Levin does a good job of citing the abuses of FDR, and the people FDR destroyed for purely political reasons.
As does the NEW DEAL OR RAW DEAL book I cited above. The buying and selling of influence with federal funds is something that began under FDR. Social security has always been a ponzi scheme that would eventually go broke for those further down the pyramid. And it doesn't help that the House and Senate have been diverting funds from Social Security for decades (both Democrats and Republicans).

Pat Buchanan in DEATH OF THE WEST has some good insights into how Social Security destroyed our society and unity, in ways that were later expanded under FDR's Great Society legislation, and 1965 immigration reform. It incentivized breaking up (or not having at all) families and marriages, and contributed to a decline in the birth rate by creating a new system that discouraged the tradition of having children as a safety net in old age. Abortion and the birth control pill finished the destruction of the old social order in the 1958-1973 period.

Trump didn't want the cruise ship to dismebark in San Diego because it would potentially spread and infect even more people. And because even with Trump delaying the removal of cruiseship pasengers a week or so to prepare a safe non-infectious disembarkation, CDC still fucked up the disembarkation with inadequate precautions and safety measures, so it actually did result in passengers spreading the virus to others, exactly as Trump feared, that Trump delayed to prevent, and CDC still didn't adequately prepare for.

You keep trying to demonize Trump for decisions he made that make perfect sense. If Obama or Hillary or Biden were in charge during this pandemic, we'd have over 2 million cases, and you'd be saying "Hey, everything's great, they're doing such a great job."
But it was Trump who initiated a travel ban, despite opposition of the "experts" at the NIH, CDC and WHO who discouraged the travel ban, that prevented 20,000 potential infected-carrier Chinese travelers a day from arriving.
It was Trump who started a trade war that diminished our dependence on Chinese imports over the last year before the pandemic began.
And it was Trump who secured our southern border that no Democrat would have ever done. If Obama, Hillary or Biden were in charge, one or all those preventive measures *NOT* put in place would have caused 2 million deaths.

You should thank God every day Trump is president.