Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
You leave out that Trump put forward the CDC guidelines to reopening and that every state is opening faster than what those guidelines suggest. Trying to force people to vote in person during a pandemic instead of a mail in vote because Trump is scared he’ll lose is plain evil. Mail in voting exists in states before this and it works fine. You can make all the accusations you want but my folks deserve to be able to vote safely.

First, the re-openings in Democrat states are happening IN SPITE OF Democrat leaders, not because of them. Despite every attempt by Democrat governors to prolong the lockdowns for political/Democrat reasons, the people are angrily marching on their capitals demanding that the states re-open. As has also occurred in Europeean nations.

Second, under reasonable precautions, people are not only going back to work, but also returning to their usual activvities such as visiting beaches and parks, and shopping.
Florida, including my native Boca Raton, re-opened on April 13th, even the local malls and beaches. A majority wearing protective masks and social distancing, but re-opened nonetheless. Even the protest marches and riots in cities nationwide over the death of George Floyd are occurring, a large ratio without even protective masks. If people can go out in crowded protests, they can vote in person and don't require mail-in ballots.

My father, who is 86, and my mother who is 84, both went to their local voting precincts in March at the peak of the Covid-19 lockdown, just before the complete Florida lockdown began on April 4th. As I said, I wasn't' feeling well, and erred on the side of caution and didn't vote.
Now that the numbers are declining, you still allege mail-in ballots are necessary? The election is still 5 months away, and the downtrend in cases should be approaching zero by October/November.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_the_United_States#Progression_charts
Yours is a political rationalization, not a scientific one.

According to a report on One America News a few days ago, despite that Hillary Clinton allegedly won the popular vote by 2.8 million, there were 6 million mail-in ballots nationwide that oddly went missing and were never counted, no explanation ever found or given for the missing ballots. In the last 4 elections, a total of 30 million mail-in ballots have disappeared. Any honest assessment is that mail-in ballots are easier to manipulate and falsify, and there have been way too many close elections where a Republican appears to have won, and then a box of Democrat ballots pop out of a magic hat out of nowhere to give the victory to a Democrat.
One example, I give you the victory for now-disgraced Senator Al Franken.

It was mail-in ballots, after a change in election laws in California that allowed ballot-harvesting, that mysteriously caused a long-Republican stronghold House district to go Democrat by a narrow margin.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ballot-...nia-republicans
But Republicans were ambushed by the ballot-harvest law change in 2018. And while they think it should be illegal, they are prepared to match the Democrats in the 2020 campaign for that district, and take it back. While ballot-harvesting remains legal in California, Repupbicans are now prepared to fight fire with fire.

You totally side step the whole fact that the CDC/Trump administration has issued the guidelines that the governors are using. I believe all states are actually opening things up faster than what those Trump administration guidelines are. I do understand that Trump after putting out those guidelines sidelined the CDC and is pushing for a faster reopening if I understand his tweets and insults. That isn’t really good leadership especially during a pandemic. So governors not only have to deal with a pandemic but also political attacks from the very person who originally supported those guidelines. And my folks should not have to risk their lives to vote. I’m so tired of the crazy partisan accusations that lack any values other than trying to protect your political party from being voted out in disgust by the people they were supposed to serve.

Fair play!