Originally Posted by Matter-eater Man
I didn’t actually know anyone that died of swine flu back in 09 but in less than a year I’ve lost several people to Covid. Big difference to me but one that is probably meaningless to someone who just views things as one partisan side being good and the other bad being the most important thing ever.

Uh... you and those politically aligned with you are the ones who politicize EVERYTHING just to demonize the other side and gain some kind of political advantage. The EXACT POINT of what I posted above is that the Republicans DID NOT politicize Swine Flu / H1N1, that way that Democrats did Covid-19 EVERY SINGLE DAY Trump was president. And now that Biden has stumbled into the White House, your side acts like Trump didn't create a vaccine in record time and authorize 100 million doses before he left office. And despite that Biden's team has incompetently dropped the ball, the news media asks not questions, and just swoons "Ooooohhhh, what a wonderful president Biden is!"

That's precisely the point of the Limbaugh broadcast transcript I posted above.

Regarding Swine Flu /H1N1...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_swine_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_States

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, the CDC estimates there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3 - 89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086 - 402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868 - 18,306) in the United States due to the virus.[121]

A follow-up study done in September 2010 showed that the risk of serious illness resulting from the 2009 H1N1 flu was no higher than that of the yearly seasonal flu.[122] For comparison, the CDC estimates the global H1N1 death toll at 284,000 and the WHO estimates that 250,000 to 500,000 people die of seasonal flu annually.

...it definitely was a major problem. And as Biden's then (and now) chief of staff Ron Klain admitted on video (which I posted above), their administration did absolutely nothing to stop it, and it was just "luck" that it was not a more deadly and severe outbreak.

For whatever reason you've lost people close to you, I'm sorry for that, M E M.

But even the CDC has acknowledged that only 6% of Covid-19 "deaths" are exclusively due to Covid-19, and are instead due to co-morbidity conditions such as cancer, heart disease, asthma, diabetes and other immune compromising conditions.
And even of those diagnosed as "Covid-19" deaths, there are many listed in that category where there was no test done to confirm it was Covid-19. As I've cited before, many hospitals list Covid-19 as the cause of eath only for insurance-reimbursement purposes. I've seen many interviews of doctors who say they were pressured to list Covid-19 as the cause of death, when everyone pressuring them knows damn well it wasn't Covid-19. There are also many cases where the person died of something else, and only tested positive when screened entering the hospital, and despite that it had absolutely noting to do with their death, Covid-19 is listed as the cause of death. One hospital doctor I saw interviewed estimated that over 80% of Covid-19 diagnosed deaths are wrongly listed, often purposely, for medical reimbursement and profit, and for political reasons to inflate the statistics.

I live in Florida, a state with the 2nd highest ratio of elderly people of any state in the U.S., and live in one of the 3 most densely infected counties in Florida, and with the possible exception of myself, I don't know anyone who has contracted the virus. My mother has an elderly friend who was infected and hospitalized around July-August 2020, and as he tells it, he would have been better off if he had never gone to the hospital, that his treatment actually endangered him more and prolonged his illness. A real estate agent friend of my mother's had a co-worker who tested positive, and everyone in the office had to be tested. It took 17 days for her to get the results, but she turned out to be negative. Another friend of my father's in his 40's tested positive but was asymptomatic, and just under observation for 10 days or so. So I don't see how you, in a region that has a relatively small number of cases relative to mine and other states, could have so many deaths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stati...emic_in_the_United_States#State_by_state

You can further click on any state and see the Covid-19 statistics for each country in the state.