Originally Posted by Matter-eater Man
You can revisit Trump explaining to Bob Woodward why Covid is different. Our life expectancy dropped a year because of Covid. I get how Covid can do that and not be the sole cause of death in a lot of cases. I look at the people I know that have died of Covid probably all had secondary factors but if not for Covid they would still be alive.

I've seen multiple reports that only 6% of Covid deaths are actually from the disease, and not from "co-morbid conditions" such as compromised immunity, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, asthma and other pre-existing conditions.

There is also the incentives provided, where hospitals order doctors to declare deaths to be from Covid when they are not, because hospitals are financially compensated for Covid deaths, whereas if they claim death by other causes there is no compensation. Many are never tested for Covid, but are declared Covid deaths for pure financial reasons.
Here in Florida, a reporter inquired about deaths in the Orlando area, where a 19 year old male died of injuries in a motorcycle accident, but the medical examiner labelled it a "Covid-19 death", when clearly it was not. I've seen many doctors go public complaining there is pressure to certify deaths as Covid-19, when they and their employers know absolutely that is not the case. And obviously up until inauguration day, that was to inflate the body count to create a talking point that reflects badly on Trump.