Print Thread
#1104993 2010-02-03 3:48 PM
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
As in NXT Generation.
Pretty shit name, but the concept of it being used as a development show is a good idea, although its been like that to a degree for the last few years anyway.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Really, that's what the original ECW was good for. A kind of minor leagues of wrestling slightly above the indies but not quite major league material for guys to earn their bumps and learn the trade.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Only problem with the original ECW is that the hardcore stuff pretty much became what defined it, meaning that as far as WWE/F was concerned, and a lot of people in the business for that matter, the wrestlers in ECW were not necessarily that good.
There is some truth to that as well, as guys like Sandman, who were huge in ECW, really showed their limitations in WWE and WCW.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Tommy Dreamer wrote the following on his Twitter last night about the end of ECW: “Many people have asked me why I left WWE. If you watched ECW tonight, a piece of the puzzle was revealed for my actions. Stay tuned.”

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hmmm, I can see this being part of a storyline where Tommy retires from ECW, but is then coaxed back as the GM/Trainer/Agent/Whatever on NXT.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän
Only problem with the original ECW is that the hardcore stuff pretty much became what defined it, meaning that as far as WWE/F was concerned, and a lot of people in the business for that matter, the wrestlers in ECW were not necessarily that good.
There is some truth to that as well, as guys like Sandman, who were huge in ECW, really showed their limitations in WWE and WCW.

I've never personally been a fan of hardcore matches. I can recognize when one is done very well, though. But, for the most part, it's people hitting each other instead of wrestling and making the bleeding aspect of wrestling all too common an even a necessity with some fans.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Let's face it. ECW has been the "developmental show" for years. With Christian as the biggest name (a guy WWE has always buried), there's nothing "E" about it. Goldust v. Sheamus is not a main event on any show but a developmental one, and now ECW can finally rest in peace, giving NXT a chance to finally admit what they've been doing all along.

http://www.finalstage.ca
http:www.459.betrayer.ca
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

I've never personally been a fan of hardcore matches. I can recognize when one is done very well, though. But, for the most part, it's people hitting each other instead of wrestling and making the bleeding aspect of wrestling all too common an even a necessity with some fans.

Which is why people who complain about the current ECW, are mostly idiots.
They forget about (or dont know about, because they only know about 2 or 3 ECW matches they once watched on YouTube) the lucha stuff, and the stuff like Benoit, Guerrero, Storm and Jericho etc, and just complain that the current ECW isnt 'Extreme'.

ECW was a good product, but obviously wasnt anywhere near as popular as people seem to think, cause if it was, how come it never made any money?

Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
I'd be interested to see to what extent the show would be booked differently to how it is now aside from the name change. The point of having veterans on the current ECW was that they could not only re-invent themselves, but also be there to eventually put over younger talent, which would enable the audience to take guys seriously who don't have initial name value or a gimmick/character that's easy to get over on its own.

If it's just all young developmental guys I can only see the TV audience declining further, since TV viewers are mainly interested in watching stars. I would prefer if they marketed it not just as seeing the next generation of young talent, but the 'next generation' of WWE wrestling itself by pushing a more athletic style to fit with the youth movement aspect to it. The brand could then be built around guys like Danielson, Low Ki, Yoshi Tatsu, as well as fun characters like Zack Ryder (although he's actually not bad as a worker too). Then you're giving something fresh and distinctive for the audience to tune into each week as you build and introduce the main characters. I think that would also give a chance for top feuds to have some chance of getting on PPV too.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Link, please.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
WWE NXT sounds like a new KidsWB cartoon about younger wrestlers who also skatebooooard! and, know a black kid!

giant picture
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Black Machismo
I'd be interested to see to what extent the show would be booked differently to how it is now aside from the name change. The point of having veterans on the current ECW was that they could not only re-invent themselves, but also be there to eventually put over younger talent, which would enable the audience to take guys seriously who don't have initial name value or a gimmick/character that's easy to get over on its own.

If it's just all young developmental guys I can only see the TV audience declining further, since TV viewers are mainly interested in watching stars. I would prefer if they marketed it not just as seeing the next generation of young talent, but the 'next generation' of WWE wrestling itself by pushing a more athletic style to fit with the youth movement aspect to it. The brand could then be built around guys like Danielson, Low Ki, Yoshi Tatsu, as well as fun characters like Zack Ryder (although he's actually not bad as a worker too). Then you're giving something fresh and distinctive for the audience to tune into each week as you build and introduce the main characters. I think that would also give a chance for top feuds to have some chance of getting on PPV too.

Somebody really thought this out for you, didn't they?

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA
This is EminemBones' way of trolling.

It must be slow (in more ways than one) over at the gaysurgency boards...

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Sensitive poet and lover of cock
25+ posts
Sensitive poet and lover of cock
25+ posts
I wandered lonely as a Snarf
Because my cock breath makes people barf
The knees on my jeans are worn out
For my love of cock, there is no doubt
Tommy is my number one
I don't charge him, I blow him for fun

I love the cock
It makes my world rock
It is my favorite thing to suck
And I will even take it in an anal fuck
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
The original ECW died in 2001. Outside of a few PPVs, WWE's version didn't resemble its namesake very much. And frankly, neither does TNA. Both are far too slick and "corporate" to have a proper ECW look.

At least most of the Philly fans that watched ECW still watch wrestling in the form of things like ROH. Many cities in which wrestling was popular during the boom just don't care anymore.

The DVD and the first couple of ONS's will always stand as a perfect send off for the original ECW, and I don't think anyone could be unhappy with that.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

I think Sandman's ring limitations were always obvious, even in ECW. it was his character that got him over, not his ring work.

as opposed to Austin, who developed a similar character, but always had the ring work to back it up.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

actually, people forget this, but a good bit of hardcore wrestling in ECW went beyond just the weapons and the blood. yes, they had that, but they had other components as well, such as more realistic characters and storylines and emotional angles that other promotions ignored in their desire to replicate the style.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

Which is why people who complain about the current ECW, are mostly idiots.
They forget about (or dont know about, because they only know about 2 or 3 ECW matches they once watched on YouTube) the lucha stuff, and the stuff like Benoit, Guerrero, Storm and Jericho etc, and just complain that the current ECW isnt 'Extreme'.

ECW was a good product, but obviously wasnt anywhere near as popular as people seem to think, cause if it was, how come it never made any money?

it's more popular now than it was when it was around!

they did make money for a few years, though. when Heyman was just booking and not running the business, they did very well. it was after Gordon left, and Heyman added the business end to his responsibilities that things started going downhill.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Yeah, but there is making money, and there is making money.
The main thing that ECW lacked was a big name backer.
Closest they ever came to that, was when Vince McMahon gave them a small degree of financial support, and lent them talent on occasion.

For all the shit that TNA does, they at least secured a large financial backer quite early in their life, where as I always got the feeling that Heyman never wanted to expand to the degree that the likes of WWE, WCW and TNA did, and didnt want to lose control.
Heyman was a great ideas man, but a lousy business man.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
what killed ECW was the talent raids, talent contracts, network contract. when they signed with TNN it was a 3 year contract. paul invested in equipment and signed talent and contracted with buildings based on the assumption he was getting 3 years of tv, tnn had yearly opt outs and they took it when they signed WWE. essentially it was like you said pauls business sense and maybe his ego. he always believed ecw just needed a chance and it would explode he couldnt forsee tnn canceling them.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Did Paul E. blame the loss of a PPV networking deal, or some rubbish?

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i think he said once if only they could have got the ppv money quicker they could have stayed afloat. which may be true but the money wasnt delayed it always has a 3 to 4 month lag.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
The talent raids were at least partially his fault as well, as talent like to be paid.

Link Copied to Clipboard