Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 66 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 65 66
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Since you believe tha base is unified (unlike the divided Republicans) Where exactly do Democrats stand on the war or even Impeachment for that matter? You wanna see Republican unity... just play teh impeachment / Cesure card.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Since you believe tha base is unified (unlike the divided Republicans) Where exactly do Democrats stand on the war or even Impeachment for that matter? You wanna see Republican unity... just play teh impeachment / Cesure card.

WBAM, where did I say the Dem base was unified? I don't think I've even said anything that implied such a thing. You are right about the Republicans seizing on Feingold's move to censure the President though. Anything that distracts people from looking at what the party in charge is doing is good for the GOP.

Fair play!
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Her opponents are assembling the circular firing squad to deal with this outrage. If you think the Iraq war has lost support now, think what it will be in 2008. The Dems are blameless in the whole affair. It was a Republican President and Congress that started it all. Barring a sudden victory on the ground, and the outdreak of civil war makes that a real longshot, the Repub nominee is going to be looking a lot like Hubert Humphrey in 1968.

I think Hillary's strategy is to sit back and let the right fuck itself. The Dems are blameless in the war.

magicjay38 #343523 2006-03-19 10:16 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

and the outdreak of civil war makes that a real longshot

What civil war is this? Or are you just prjecting wishfull thinking?

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

PJP #343525 2006-03-19 10:20 PM
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

I'm sorry WBAM. I didn't know you hadn't been told.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Perhaps Magic has been listning to other sources beyond the rosy rhetoric that Cheney & the White House presents?

Quote:

A Republican Senator claimed on a Sunday talk show that generals have told him that a "low grade" civil war has been going on in Iraq for the last six months to a year, RAW STORY has found.

"I think we have had a low-grade civil war going on in Iraq, certainly the last six months, maybe the last year," said Senator Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopoulos. "Our own generals have told me that privately, George. So that's a fact. And for us to walk away from that or try to hue this up with some rosy veneer--"

RAW

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Yea, you're probobly right. Chuck Hagel the self serving attention monger should be believed with his unnamed generals who have decided to repport to him personally and privatly. Yup he should be believed based on the sole evidence that he's saying what you want to hear.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
No offense, dude, but you're really no good at sarcasm. I think you need to get a new schtick.

Whatever happened to Howard Dean? Is he done?

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Sounds like someone got up on the bitchy side of the bed this morning...... n offense, dude*.

* When someone says "no offense" what they mean is that they are going to say something that will hopefully offend you.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Sounds like someone got up on the bitchy side of the bed this morning...... n offense, dude*.

* When someone says "no offense" what they mean is that they are going to say something that will hopefully offend you.

I'm not sure what you mean about being bitchy. Seems like you're the one getting a little worked up over nothing. Regardless, while I was being critical, I was trying to do it in a friendly fashion. I just don't think you pull of sarcasm very well. For one, you overuse it. You also do it waaaay too over the top. Then, of course, there's your spelling.

I think most of the people can attest to the fact that when I'm trying to offend I'm a bit more upfront about it.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
No offense, dude, but you're really no good at sarcasm. I think you need to get a new schtick.

Whatever happened to Howard Dean? Is he done?

Are you sure he's being sarcastic? I think he really believes the shit that comes off his keyboard.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

while I was being critical, I was trying to do it in a friendly fashion. I just don't think you pull of sarcasm very well. For one, you overuse it. You also do it waaaay too over the top. Then, of course, there's your spelling.

Wow, you are a friendly guy. Thank you, I really appreciate you're criticism. It will help me become a better person.

Oh, wait, here, let me take your advise and not be sarcastic.... Dude, don't try this mock helpfull bullshit. You were being an ass-hole and you know it. At least have the balls to admit when you're being an ass-hole or do you honestly think this shit plays? Do you hang with elitist bitter people so much that you honestly think the world is begging for your criticism and you're being a nice guy by offering it?

There, I hope the latter portion of this post was more to your liking, because I take your criticism with the gracious intent that it was offered and I thank you for it. Oh and there's my spelling. I'll try to work on that so that someday you might be proud of me.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
So has Dean fallen out of favor in the Democratic party? He's the only reasonable alternative to Hilary I can think of at the moment. He actually seemed like a decent candidate.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I haven't heard anything about Dean running in 2008. He's made some broad attacks on Republicans in general that make him less than Presidential IMHO.

Fair play!
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Too bad. I'm really, really not thrilled with the Clinton in '08 thing.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Her opponents are assembling the circular firing squad to deal with this outrage. If you think the Iraq war has lost support now, think what it will be in 2008. The Dems are blameless in the whole affair. It was a Republican President and Congress that started it all. Barring a sudden victory on the ground, and the outdreak of civil war makes that a real longshot, the Repub nominee is going to be looking a lot like Hubert Humphrey in 1968.

I think Hillary's strategy is to sit back and let the right fuck itself. The Dems are blameless in the war.

How is voting to give the President power to wage war not being atleast somewhat to blame exactly? I heard very few voices opposing the war until no WMDs were found. That sounds like re-writing history to me. The American people were for it and so was everyone else (see politicians) that didn't stand up against it.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

This one:

Quote:

San Francisco Chronicle, March 20, 2006

The picture painted on Sunday by the administration clashed with the views of Ayad Allawi, a man Bush once hailed as exactly the kind of balanced leader Iraq needs. In an interview with the BBC on Sunday, Allawi said that the country was nearing a "point of no return."

"It is unfortunate that we are in civil war," said Allawi, who served as interim prime minister after the U.S. invasion and who now leads a 25-seat secular alliance of representatives in Iraq's 275-member National Assembly. "We are losing each day, as an average, 50 to 60 people throughout the country, if not more.

"If this is not civil war," he concluded, "then God knows what civil war is."

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Hmm, seems like an awfully loose deffinition. Sure there is violence between Sunis and Kurds, but the leaders of those groups haven't condoned it, infact they have vowed to start wroking together to quell the infigting

There are significantly fewer casualties this year than last; the infrastructure is in much better condition; The government is taking shape representives from both sects have everted a true civil war by determining to work together in the government to quell violence between them. Yet the left seems determined to find some mesure to define this war as a failure and for what end? To pull out of Iraq? Is there anyone that honestly believes that if we packed up and left that there would be an end to the violence rather than a significant increase? The "peace" movement doesn't want peace they just don't want to get involved. Consider the "peace" movements greatest victory, the end of the Viet-Nam war. I'm currious, have you gotten your thank you card from teh South Viet-Namese?

Pariah #343540 2006-03-21 7:06 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
New York Daily News:

After being surprised by her husband's role in the Dubai ports deal, Sen. Hillary Clinton has insisted that Bill Clinton give her 'final say' over what he says and does, well-placed sources said.

The former President agreed to give his wife a veto to avoid his habit of making controversial headlines that could hurt her chances of returning to the White House.

"He knows it's Hillary's time now," said an adviser close to both Clintons who expects to play a key role in her likely 2008 presidential campaign.

Perhaps this is more gossip than news, but can you imagine the outcry if, when Bill held office and Hillary didn't, someone had floated the story that he had demanded a "veto" over her public statements?

C'mon, Bill, don't just stay home and bake cookies! Be a man, for heaven's sake!

the G-man #343541 2006-03-21 11:18 PM
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
damn, she told him to shut the fuck up

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
That read pretty much like a National Enquirer "news" article.

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Nothing can compare to the journalistic integrity of Media Matters.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:

Quote:

the G-man HAD ALREADY said:
Perhaps this is more gossip than news

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:

Quote:

the G-man HAD ALREADY said:
Perhaps this is more gossip than news

And we agree. You did however go on as if it were true. While I'm sure our ex-President is supportive of his wife, I would guess he'll be less scripted than our current President (much less the First Lady) is now

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I never said it was not true, only that the report seemed gossipy.

In fact, according to the most recent reports, Bill is now flip flopping on his support for the Dubai port deal, claiming, weeks after the fact, that the news reports were wrong.

This flip flop may be a mere coincidence, but the timing of it seems to confirm, at least superficially, that Hillary did get Veto power over his statements after all.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I never said it was not true, only that the report seemed gossipy.

In fact, according to the most recent reports, Bill is now flip flopping on his support for the Dubai port deal, claiming, weeks after the fact, that the news reports were wrong.

This flip flop may be a mere coincidence, but the timing of it seems to confirm, at least superficially, that Hillary did get Veto power over his statements after all.

Not sure how it could be a flip flop when he issued this statement at the time...
Quote:

Mr Clinton's spokesman said: "President Clinton is the former president of the US and as such receives many calls from world leaders and leading figures every week. About two weeks ago, the Dubai leaders called him and he suggested that they submit to the full and regular scrutiny process and that they should put maximum safeguards and security into any port proposal."

He added that Mr Clinton supported his wife's position on the deal and that "ideally" state-owned companies would not own US port operations.

MSNBC

This was from March 2nd so the timing isn't superficial. Your sources may want to do some fact checking

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Hillary tries to shield "our children" from the video game plague

A year ago Hillary Clinton said the electronic entertainment kids enjoy is "a kind of contagion," a "silent epidemic" threatening "long-term public health damage to many, many children and therefore to society." Now she wants to find out if it's a problem.

This month a Senate committee approved a bill sponsored by the junior senator from New York that authorizes government-funded research on "the effects of viewing and using electronic media, including television, computers, video games, and the Internet, on children's cognitive, social, physical, and psychological development." Fittingly, since Clinton likens these diversions to a plague, the research would be overseen by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Last year Clinton claimed "we have this data that demonstrates there is a clear public health connection between exposure to [depictions of] violence and increased aggression." This year, explaining why she wants to spend taxpayers' money on more studies, she sounds less confident, saying "we need to better understand the effect of the constant barrage of media on our children."

Before a single CDC grantee has begun research to confirm there's a problem, Clinton already has proposed a solution: the Family Entertainment Protection Act (FEPA), which would make it a federal crime to sell anyone under the age of 17 video games with "mature" or "adults only" ratings. FEPA also would instruct the Federal Trade Commission to evaluate the industry's rating system, conduct secret annual audits of retailers, investigate "hidden" game content, and collect consumer complaints about ratings and content descriptions.

Upon introducing FEPA in December, Clinton and her co-sponsors claimed "parents are struggling to keep up with being informed about [video game] content." Yet all they have to do is look at the box or check titles at the Web site of the Entertainment Software Ratings Board. Newer game systems even allow automatic blocking of titles with parent-specified ratings.

Thierer argues the threat of fines or criminal charges for failing to keep M-rated games away from minors could lead game developers to stop rating their products, in which case Congress would respond by establishing a mandatory government-run labeling system. Such content regulation would go even further than state laws restricting video games, all of which have been overturned on First Amendment grounds, largely because courts rejected Clinton's assertion of "a clear...connection" between video games and anti-social behavior.

Clinton complains that "young people are able to purchase [violent and sexually explicit] games with relative ease." While it's true retailers usually sell M-rated games to the FTC's 13-to-16-year-old "mystery shoppers," Thierer cites survey data indicating that "92 percent of the time parents are present when games are purchased or rented." Present or not, parents have the power of the purse strings, especially with products that cost $40 to $60 each.

As with sex and violence on television, which the mandatory but rarely used "V chip" was supposed to block, Clinton's real complaint is not that parents don't have the power they need. It's that they're not using it the way she thinks they should.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
HECKLERS PILLORY HILLARY

Anti-war protesters interrupted Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's speech at Brown University last night by heckling her for four minutes before police escorted them out of the auditorium.

Clinton was about eight minutes into her speech, "Women Leaders," when an unidentified man stood and shouted: "Is it leadership to support the war?"

He was quickly joined by two other hecklers as he stood on his seat and continued to criticize Clinton for her vote to authorize the U.S. invasion of Iraq and her subsequent votes to fund the war.

Before the speech, about 70 protesters rallied outside the auditorium and said they targeted Clinton because her votes on the war mirror the Bush administration's policies despite her being considered the front-runner among Democratic presidential hopefuls in 2008.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Hil's name-game bounty

A donation to Sen. Hillary Clinton can be the gift that keeps on giving.

That's because New York's celebrity senator uses one of the least-known but most common political fund-raising ploys that helps squeeze every last cent from her prolific hat-passing: She sells the names of donors.

Since Clinton won office, her election committee, Friends of Hillary, and her political action committee, HILLPAC, have earned at least $340,000 renting donor lists, according to a review of federal election records.

The idea that Clinton is selling donor information could raise eyebrows, and few people in the industry were willing to talk about the practice on the record, even generally, apparently concerned it appears unsavory to a public unaware of the practice.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
G-man perhaps you would like to comment how this is different than other candidates. Do you feel it's worse than say Bush having his campaigners get the names of entire church congregations?

Fair play!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
G-man perhaps you would like to comment how this is different than other candidates. Do you feel it's worse than say Bush having his campaigners get the names of entire church congregations?

I think teh article makes that point clear when it says:

Quote:

least-known but most common political fund-raising ploys

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yeah I just was hoping for a bit of G-man's thoughts beyond the parts of that article he posted.

From what the article said, it's not even a case of Hillary being more agressive than others & that
Quote:

...In fact, list brokerage is traditionally a right-wing stronghold, originating in evangelical Christian marketing of conservative causes.

Fair play!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Hillary tries to shield "our children" from the video game plague

A year ago Hillary Clinton said the electronic entertainment kids enjoy is "a kind of contagion," a "silent epidemic" threatening "long-term public health damage to many, many children and therefore to society." Now she wants to find out if it's a problem.

This month a Senate committee approved a bill sponsored by the junior senator from New York that authorizes government-funded research on "the effects of viewing and using electronic media, including television, computers, video games, and the Internet, on children's cognitive, social, physical, and psychological development." Fittingly, since Clinton likens these diversions to a plague, the research would be overseen by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Last year Clinton claimed "we have this data that demonstrates there is a clear public health connection between exposure to [depictions of] violence and increased aggression." This year, explaining why she wants to spend taxpayers' money on more studies, she sounds less confident, saying "we need to better understand the effect of the constant barrage of media on our children."

Before a single CDC grantee has begun research to confirm there's a problem, Clinton already has proposed a solution: the Family Entertainment Protection Act (FEPA), which would make it a federal crime to sell anyone under the age of 17 video games with "mature" or "adults only" ratings. FEPA also would instruct the Federal Trade Commission to evaluate the industry's rating system, conduct secret annual audits of retailers, investigate "hidden" game content, and collect consumer complaints about ratings and content descriptions.

Upon introducing FEPA in December, Clinton and her co-sponsors claimed "parents are struggling to keep up with being informed about [video game] content." Yet all they have to do is look at the box or check titles at the Web site of the Entertainment Software Ratings Board. Newer game systems even allow automatic blocking of titles with parent-specified ratings.

Thierer argues the threat of fines or criminal charges for failing to keep M-rated games away from minors could lead game developers to stop rating their products, in which case Congress would respond by establishing a mandatory government-run labeling system. Such content regulation would go even further than state laws restricting video games, all of which have been overturned on First Amendment grounds, largely because courts rejected Clinton's assertion of "a clear...connection" between video games and anti-social behavior.

Clinton complains that "young people are able to purchase [violent and sexually explicit] games with relative ease." While it's true retailers usually sell M-rated games to the FTC's 13-to-16-year-old "mystery shoppers," Thierer cites survey data indicating that "92 percent of the time parents are present when games are purchased or rented." Present or not, parents have the power of the purse strings, especially with products that cost $40 to $60 each.

As with sex and violence on television, which the mandatory but rarely used "V chip" was supposed to block, Clinton's real complaint is not that parents don't have the power they need. It's that they're not using it the way she thinks they should.

Well, maybe parents shouldn't bitch about the stuff their kids are seeing. No politician pulls an issue out of their ass, they hear from voters.
All this shit is due to whiny soccer moms who can't tell their kid not to get GTA, so they want the government to make it illegal for them to buy it.

Oh, and G-man. Your comment about stem cells was way out of line.

Bow ties are coool.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Well, maybe parents shouldn't bitch about the stuff their kids are seeing. No politician pulls an issue out of their ass, they hear from voters.
All this shit is due to whiny soccer moms who can't tell their kid not to get GTA, so they want the government to make it illegal for them to buy it.

This has been going on since the dawn of mass entertainment. People feel they're losing control of their kids and seek someway to prevent the corrupting influences of mass culture.

Video games are the latest threat to America's youth. It wasn't that long ago that they wanted ban comic books! This fear has given us the Hayes Code, MPAA ratings, V-chips, warning labels on music and on and on. Has any of these attempts been succesful?

Kids rebel against their parents. They declare their independence by doing thing their elders don't like (Rock & Roll).

Tony Soprano to Carmella, "If these kids ever find out how powerless we are, we're fucked!".

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

This has been going on since the dawn of mass entertainment. People feel they're losing control of their kids and seek someway to prevent the corrupting influences of mass culture.

Video games are the latest threat to America's youth. It wasn't that long ago that they wanted ban comic books! This fear has given us the Hayes Code, MPAA ratings, V-chips, warning labels on music and on and on. Has any of these attempts been succesful?

Kids rebel against their parents. They declare their independence by doing thing their elders don't like (Rock & Roll).

Tony Soprano to Carmella, "If these kids ever find out how powerless we are, we're fucked!".

You make a good point. Remember the Beatles were once seen as a threat to children.

Bow ties are coool.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Sen. Clinton Says Bush Has Charm, Charisma

WASHINGTON - Asked to say one nice thing about President Bush, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton went one better: She named two things.

"He is someone who has a lot of charm and charisma, and I think in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, I was very grateful to him for his support for New York," Clinton said Tuesday night during a talk at the National Archives about her life in politics.

Clinton, a potential presidential candidate in 2008, said that despite their "many disagreements about many, many issues," she has always had a good personal relationship with the president.

"He's been very willing to talk. He's been affable. He's been good company," said Clinton, D-N.Y.

The junior senator from New York, who is up for re-election this year, said she is still thankful for Bush's personal commitment to helping rebuild lower Manhattan after Sept. 11, 2001.

She recalled how the president, in the grim days that followed the terror attacks, pledged in a private meeting with New York lawmakers to help rebuild the shattered city.

"It was a very personal, very emotional discussion and when we asked him for the help that New York needed he immediately said yes," said Clinton.

At that meeting, Bush pledged more than $20 billion in aid and tax incentives. Some New York Democrats have since charged the Bush administration has fallen billions of dollars short of that goal because some of the programs were underused, but Clinton said the president kept his promise.

"He always kept it on track," she said. "He made sure we got the resources that we needed and I'm very grateful to him for that. ... I am very appreciative in the time when the people I represented needed his help, he was there for us."

Yahoo

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

STATEMENT OF SENATOR HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON ON NET NEUTRALITY

Washington, DC – “I support net neutrality. The open architecture of the Internet has been the critical element that has made it the most revolutionary communications medium since the advent of the television.

Each day on the Internet views are discussed and debated in an open forum without fear of censorship or reprisal. The Internet as we know it does not discriminate among its users. It does not decide who can enter its marketplace and it does not pick which views can be heard and which ones silenced. It is the embodiment of the fundamental democratic principles upon which our nation has thrived for hundreds of years.

I have always, and will continue to strongly and unequivocally support these principles. As I have worked throughout my Senate career to make broadband access readily available throughout New York State and our nation, I believe that maintaining an open Internet coupled with more broadband access is necessary if we are to meet the promise and the potential of the Internet to disseminate ideas and information, enhance learning, education and business opportunities for all Americans and improve and uplift our citizenry.

We must embrace an open and non-discriminatory framework for the Internet of the 21st century. Therefore, it is my intention to be an original cosponsor of the Dorgan and Snowe net neutrality legislation to ensure that open, unimpaired and unencumbered Internet access for both its users and content providers is preserved as Congress debates the overhaul of our nation’s telecommunications laws. Any effort to fundamentally alter the inherently democratic structure of the Internet must be rejected.

RAW
Sounds good to me!

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Hailing Gore a 'committed visionary,' Clinton unveils plan to reduce oil imports by 50%

In an appearance before the National Press Club today, Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) called for a reduction of U.S. oil imports of 50% by 2025, RAW STORY has learned.

The remarks include Clinton's strongest language yet on the topics of oil dependence and climate change. As inspiration, Clinton even inserted a plug for Al Gore's new documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," proclaiming the former Vice President as a "committed visionary" on the subject of global warming.

To back this push, Clinton called for the creation of a "Strategic Energy Fund," which would place a two year fee on major oil company profits that exceed a 2000-2004 profit baseline. Companies could offset their fee by investing in refinery capacity, ethanol production, or alternative energy such as wind-generated electricity. The proposal also eliminates oil company tax breaks and calls on companies to pay what Clinton calls their "fair share" of royalties for drilling on public lands.

Clinton's office believes the fund could would raise more than $50 billion for research, development and deployment of new energy technologies. Targeted technologies include hybrid and alternative vehicles, renewable energy, biofuels, and supporting infrastructure.

RAW
Sounds good to me.

Fair play!
Page 5 of 66 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 65 66

Link Copied to Clipboard