Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 66 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 65 66
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Welcome back, MEM. I see the email notification you get whenever someone posts to this thread still works.

Is signing up for notifications your own idea, or the Clinton staff's BTW?

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Ummm, I thought I heard the other day that Rush said he thought Hillary was going to win the Presidency. is this true, spin-doctoring or a plot by Rush?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
From what I heard, Rush said that if the GOP didn't get its act together there was an 80% chance she would win.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Ahhhhhhhh, he may be right.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
What would be even worse is that if that is true then starting with The Reagan Presidency the political spectrum of the past 30 years would look like this..

Bush VP
Bush VP
Bush P
Clinton P
Clinton P
Bush W P
Bush W P
Clinton H P

the G-man #343885 2007-04-19 11:20 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Welcome back, MEM. I see the email notification you get whenever someone posts to this thread still works.

Is signing up for notifications your own idea, or the Clinton staff's BTW?

Says the guy who ends each post with a campaign sign for Rudy.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
When Chelsea Clinton was six years old, her parents used to make her cry in hopes that they could make her tough.

Dad was in the middle of an especially ugly re-election fight, his enemies were drawing blood, and so they all tried a game at the dinner table: Chelsea would pretend that she was her father, making speeches about why people should vote for her, and then he would attack her, say really mean things, so she would learn to protect herself.

At first the exercises reduced the little girl to tears: "Why would anybody say things like that?" But after a while, Hillary later wrote, "she gradually gained mastery over her emotions"; she came to understand people's dark motives; and, finally, she would come back fighting, fully prepared to handle the wicked lies that enemies might tell.

Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
There really isn't a good excuse for talking to [a] girl like that IMHO.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
G-man you can of course title your threads anyway you please but do you really feel that amounts to true child abuse? assuming article had somebody at the Clinton's dinnertable who accuratley described what happened. It's less of an article & more of a story told where somehow the writers get inside the cast of characters inner thoughts.

Chelsea has said her folks were firm but fair. She actually gets to see them. Rudy's kids say "Where's daddy? "

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
...MEM keeps telling us on the Rudy thread that being a bad parent disqualifies a presidential candidate...[so] tell us how intentionally making a six year old cry is somehow better than going through a divorce or having a disagreement with your ADULT children (you know, all the things you say make Rudy an unfit parent)....you really want to stick with the premise that a democrat intentionally making a six year old cry is somehow better than a republican going through a divorce or having a disagreement with his ADULT children?

That's kind of...well...pathetic.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Since we're just going to repost quotes...

Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Chelsea has said her folks were firm but fair. She actually gets to see them. Rudy's kids say "Where's daddy? "

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

By Jill Lawrence, USA TODAY
FORT DRUM, N.Y. — Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton says the pain and turmoil of her White House years don't discourage her in the least as she wages a campaign she hopes will bring her back to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

"I've decided this country is worth fighting for," she said, adding she is "distraught" about the last six years under President Bush.

In a half-hour interview this week at the home of the Army's 10th Mountain Division, Clinton discussed her revised approach to health care reform and her daughter's view of her presidential aspirations. She also talked of why, after eight tumultuous years as first lady, she wants to return to the White House.

Contemplating possible slings and arrows on the campaign trail, she said, "So what, people are going to say something bad about me?" She burst out laughing. "I mean really. I mean look. I understand how contentious American politics is. And why? Because there are big things at stake."

Clinton said she doesn't take attacks personally or lie awake fretting. "I'm sorry to tell you this, I do not … Maybe because I've been at it for so long. And because I understand it's a perverse form of flattery. If people didn't take you seriously, they wouldn't be attacking you."

Clinton dismissed the idea that decades of alternating Bush and Clinton presidencies is unhealthy. "What's healthy for the country is to have a candidate who brings experience and qualifications that could really be put to work for the country, and that's what I'm offering," she said. "It's a free country. People can vote for me or vote for somebody else."

USA Today
The experience she brings to the table really appeals to me. Besides herself, there would also be her husband who's been President for 8yrs plus whoever she would pick for the VP slot.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Just what experience appeals to you?

the G-man #343892 2007-04-22 3:01 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
8 years as First Lady & her 2 terms as a Senator. Her husband would also be part of the bargain of course.

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
'bargain'

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
8 years as First Lady

So, by that argument, Laura Bush, Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan and Betty Ford are all at least nominally qualifed to be President in your eyes?

I will grant you that Hillary also has Senatorial experience that they don't have. However, your post seems to imply that the Senatorial experience is actually less dispositive in your mind than her time as the wife of a president.

the G-man #343895 2007-04-22 4:27 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
8 years as First Lady

So, by that argument, Laura Bush, Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan and Betty Ford are all at least nominally qualifed to be President in your eyes?

I will grant you that Hillary also has Senatorial experience that they don't have. However, your post seems to imply that the Senatorial experience is actually less dispositive in your mind than her time as the wife of a president.

I'm not sure how I implied all that. All I did was a quick list of her experience.

First Lady certainly does count as experience, even the Republicans

In fact I think a good arguement could be made that Nancy Reagan probably was unofficially the President towards the end of Reagan's term as her husband's mental capabilities diminished.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I should add not all First Lady experience is equal. The ones who played the role as America's mom & didn't draw fire or criticism for not knowing their "place" may have more trouble capitalizing on their past experience.

Fair play!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
So instead of being America's Mom she was America's gaping wide vagina that could be bought for 4 bucks and some loose change. Yeah, that's some good experience.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
I should add not all First Lady experience is equal. The ones who played the role as America's mom & didn't draw fire or criticism for not knowing their "place" may have more trouble capitalizing on their past experience.

Agreed. I remember the end of West Wing had the new first lady being told about her options. One was the nice homemaker who threw parties, the other was a more modern wife role with her own political causes to work for.
Hillary was clearly the latter. She was very active in Clinton's 8 years in office, much more than Laura has been.
Just going by credentials:
Nancy Reagan was a theater major.
Barbara Bush dropped out of college to have babies.
Laura Bush has a degree in Education and was a teacher/librarian.
Hillary on the other hand, went to law school, was counsel involved with Watergate, on faculty at a law school, first woman partner of a law firm. That alone could get someone definitely into state legislature but with the right charisma could win her a senate seat. Then you add in her firsthand experience as an advisor to a governor and a president for 20 plus years, as well as work on congressional (bill's first failed campaign), gubernatorial (sp?), and presidential campaigns and she has the credentials to seriously run for president.

I'm a little surprised G-man doesn't support her. She's also a lawyer who is rumored to be gay.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Karl Hungus said:...I remember the end of West Wing....

Um, Ray, you do realize that 'the West Wing' was a fictional TV show, right?

the G-man #343900 2007-04-22 5:14 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

you took that one bit and cut it up to make a point?
jeez
you do realize i was using that scene as an example of the two types of first ladies because it makes sense from the types of first ladies we've had. you would have a point in admonishing me had i said "the west wing said this is how laws are passed" or "the west wing showed the exact manner in which a president acts from day to day" then you might have had a point. but once again you decided to pick a few words (not even a whole sentence) and then spin a rebuttal from that since the main bulk of the post was something you'd rather not acknowledge.
had you read the rest of my post i make a good case for hillary having some pretty damn good credentials that show some good experience. of course i bet you had to delete the rest of my post from your quote due to my clever "g-man is gay" joke at the end, huh?

Bow ties are coool.
the G-man #343901 2007-04-22 5:30 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Um, I'm sure Karl realizes it's a fictional TV show. Even though the show was fictional it was pretty accurate in what Karl was reffering to IMHO. First Ladies can either be cast as the traditional homemakers or take the Hillary Clinton route. It's actually sort of fitting to be referencing a fictional show since I really do see most of the First Ladies as playing role.

Fair play!
PJP #343902 2007-04-22 5:38 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
So instead of being America's Mom she was America's gaping wide vagina that could be bought for 4 bucks and some loose change. Yeah, that's some good experience.

THANK GOD FOR PJP! and rudy

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Anyone can say garbage bs like that on the internet Cap. I doubt God wants your thanks for it.

Fair play!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I'd say it in person too, if it makes you feel better.

PJP #343905 2007-04-22 6:06 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
I'd say it in person too, if it makes you feel better.

What does it mean to me that you would say garbage that you know is untrue to somebody? Talk is cheap & for some it's even cheaper. I think you sunk pass the 4 buck rate a ways back. I still love ya though because I like bargains

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You're taking an insult to Hillary awfully personally. Afraid to lose your meal ticket?

the G-man #343907 2007-04-22 10:47 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
You're taking an insult to Hillary awfully personally. Afraid to lose your meal ticket?

I'm sorry but are you talking to me or the guy calling Hillary a 4 dollar ho? (kinda sad that I even have to ask)

Fair play!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Watergate reporter Bernstein takes apart Hillary’s career

story Sarah Baxter, Washington

Drawing on a trove of private papers from Hillary Clinton’s best friend, the legendary Watergate journalist Carl Bernstein is to publish a hard-hitting and intimate portrait of the 2008 presidential candidate, which will reveal a number of “discrepancies” in her official story.

Bernstein, who was played by Dustin Hoffman in the film All the President’s Men, has spent eight years researching the unauthorised 640-page biography, A Woman in Charge: The Life of Hillary Rodham Clinton.

“Bernstein reaches conclusions that stand in opposition to what Senator Clinton has said in the past and has written in the past,” said Paul Bogaards, a spokesman for Knopf, which publishes the book on June 19.

With the thoroughness for which he is famous, Bernstein spoke to more than 200 of Clinton’s friends, colleagues and adversaries. He stops short of accusing the New York senator of blatantly lying about her past, but has unearthed examples of where she has played fast and loose with the facts about her “personal and political life”, according to Knopf.

The book could revive the explosive charge, made earlier this year by David Geffen, a former Clinton donor and Hollywood mogul, that “the Clintons lie with such ease, it’s troubling”.

Clinton remains the frontrun-ner for the Democratic presidential nomination, but Barack Obama, who is keeping pace with her fundraising juggernaut, is closing the gap in the polls.

The Sunday Times has learnt that Bernstein has been given unprecedented access to the private papers of Diane Blair, Clinton’s closest friend and confidante, who died of lung cancer aged 61 in 2000. The collection is still being sorted at the University of Arkansas library and is not yet available to the public.

Bernstein has been delving through Blair’s copious records of the 1992 presidential election campaign, which could offer tantalising insight into Bill Clinton’s war machine and Hillary’s reaction to news of her husband’s dalliance with the nightclub singer Gennifer Flowers in Arkansas.

Hillary denied all knowledge of the affair, but one writer who has followed her career closely said: “She always knew about her.” He added: “Anyone who has approached the subject of Hillary Clinton with a clear eye will run across many examples of stories that are not true.”

Blair, a professor of political science, crisscrossed the country with the Clintons in 1992, serving as a senior adviser and semiofficial historian of the campaign. She became friends with Hillary in the political backwater of Little Rock, Arkansas, in the 1970s, when the two East Coast-educated power women sought each other out as soulmates.

Hillary went on to serve as “best person” at her friend’s marriage to Jim Blair, who had a walk-on part in the scandals of the Clinton White House when it emerged he had helped the former first lady make $100,000 in cattle futures.

Joe Klein, the bestselling author of Primary Colors, recounted how Blair once witnessed a blazing row between Bill and Hillary Clinton. “They were really, really angry with each other,” she told him. “And then suddenly, the president took her in his arms and began kissing her all over her face and he said, ‘God, what would I do without you?’ I felt kind of embarrassed being there.”

When Blair was diagnosed with lung cancer, Clinton was running for the Senate in New York. In her memoir, Living History, she writes about seeing her friend for the last time in an Arkansas hospice. “She pressed my hand tightly and whispered to me, ‘Don’t ever give up on yourself and what you believe in. Take care of Bill and Chelsea. They need you. And win this election for me’.”

Bernstein is known as a liberal Democrat who fiercely opposes the war in Iraq and is likely to be critical of Clinton’s Senate vote to authorise the war. His marriage to Nora Ephron, the screen-writer, broke up when he had an affair with Baroness Jay, the daughter of former prime minister James Callaghan.

For years Bernstein suffered from writer’s block, but Knopf is promoting his biography as a triumphant return to form. Publisher Sonny Mehta said his portrait would “show us, for the first time, the true trajectory of Hillary Clinton’s life and career”. It will be published simultaneously in Britain by Hutchinson.

According to the publishers, it will cover everything from Clinton’s “complex relationship with her disciplinarian father” to “her courtship with Bill Clinton and the amazing dynamic of their marriage, during the most trying of circumstances”.

Clinton’s relationship with the truth has frequently come under scrutiny. William Safire, a conservative columnist in The New York Times, provoked a storm in the 1990s when he accused the first lady of being a “congenital liar”. Bill Clinton let it be known that if he were not president, he would punch Safire on the nose.

While the senator continues to lead Barack Obama, her nearest rival, in the polls - most recently by 36% to 31% in an NBC/Wall St Journal survey - she continues to be dogged by high ratings for “unfavourability”.

She is the most assured Democratic candidate on the campaign trail, as she proved in a televised debate with her rivals for president in South Carolina last week. But while Washington commentators declared her the obvious victor, television viewers in the state put Obama on top, suggesting there remains considerable voter-resistance to her charms.

In an effort to boost her campaign, Clinton said last week that she would appoint her husband ambassador to the world if elected to the White House. “I can’t think of a better cheer-leader for America than Bill Clinton, can you?” she said.

Bernstein’s biography is likely to touch some raw nerves. One writer who has crossed swords with Clinton advises Bernstein to watch his back. “She has the most powerful war machine that has ever been developed and it is led by people who have been to hell and back.”

PJP #343909 2007-04-29 8:07 PM
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I can't wait for this! I've always been a huge fan of the Bernstein Bears.

PJP #343910 2007-04-29 8:09 PM
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Didn't they get kicked in the dick?

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Hillary Drops Maiden Name From Campaign

While she is known to millions simply as "Hillary," New York's junior senator is having something of an identity crisis in her official life.

When it comes to running for president, she is "Hillary Clinton," according to her campaign Web site. But when it comes to her official Senate releases, she is still "Hillary Rodham Clinton."

The Clinton camp appeared to be at a loss to come up with an explanation when the Albany Times Union newspaper asked about it.

The name game has been going on for some time in Clinton's world.

When Hillary Rodham married Bill Clinton in 1975, she kept using her maiden name as he pursued his political career in Arkansas and she built her reputation as a lawyer in Little Rock. But, in the wake of his loss in a re-election race for governor, she began using "Hillary Clinton." He won back the governorship.

"Hillary Rodham Clinton" became the standard in 1993 as the Clintons moved into the White House. She continued to use that when she ran for Senate from New York in 2000.

The Boston Globe also wrote about this a while back.

They're both missing the real story. I would note that if you look on her web site, the logo in the top left hand corner says, "HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT," no last name. All around the home page - "Join Team Hillary", "HillRaisers", Join "Women for Hillary". Now look at the event descriptions:

Hillary continued her tour of the four corners of Iowa and met with the nurses of Finley Hospital...

Hillary spoke about the amazing example set by the Rutgers University women's basketball team at the school's Center for American Women and Politics...

On Sunday, Hillary joined nurses from Finley Hospital in Dubuque who have been without a contract since last summer...

Nevermind Rodham - she's just about dropped the "Clinton."

Do I think this is something that is particular relevant to her qualifications to be President? Nah. People were calling Eisenhower "Ike" fifty years ago.

But I do find it interesting in terms of how modern campaigns work and whether or not it signifies that they are becoming even more "sound bite" and focus group driven.

I'd bet some focus group result suggested that voters are more likely to vote for a candidate that they think of the first name instead of the last name. Thus, the all-first-name, all-the-time campaign.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Clinton +/- Giuliani
Tied!

Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani's nominal lead over Senator Hillary Clinton is now a dead heat, with a Rasmussen poll showing a 45-45 tie between the two. Giuliani had led Clinton 48-47 a month ago, so a virtual tie has become a literal tie.

The poll also shows Clinton widening the gap between herself and another Republican, Arizona Senator John McCain. She now enjoys a 48-44 lead over McCain, up from 47-46 last month.

NYPress

I thought it would take a bit longer but certainly won't complain if voters are getting to know the real Rudy sooner than later.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Poll: Clinton rebounds over Obama
By Susan Page, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton has rebounded to a 15 percentage-point lead over Illinois Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination, according to a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken after the candidates' first debate.

Among Republicans, former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani maintained a 14-point lead over Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Clinton is the only contender in either party to show movement outside the poll's margin of error. She is the choice of 38% of the Democrats and Democratic-leaning voters surveyed, up 7 points from a survey taken three weeks earlier. Obama is at 23%, 3 points lower than before.

Giuliani is supported by 34% of the Republicans and Republican-leaning voters surveyed, compared with 20% for McCain.

USA Today

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So, does this mean, in your mind, that voters have gotten to know the "real" Barack Hussein Obama?

Pariah #343915 2007-05-11 4:40 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I Know This Will Shock You, but a column in the Chicago Daily Herald points out that Hillary Clinton's tale of spending time in her childhood on nearby farms with migrant workers just doesn't add up:

“When I was growing up, the neighborhoods I lived in were surrounded by farm fields, and every harvest season we had a lot of the migrants who come up from Mexico, through Texas, following the harvest, all the way up through Illinois and Michigan,” Mrs. Rodham Clinton has told the spellbound.

Of course millions of people across the country have no idea where Park Ridge is located. They don’t realize it is, was and forever will be an appendage of O’Hare International Airport, attached to Chicago like your nose is to your face.

Mrs. Rodham Clinton has been telling the Big Woods of Park Ridge story since 1996 when she told an audience: “Those of you who did not grow up around Chicago in the 1950s and can only imagine flying into O’Hare where everything looks developed, might find it hard to believe how many farm workers we would have.” ...

According to the Encyclopedia of Chicago, Hillary’s recollections of her Park Ridge neighborhood being “surrounded by farm fields” are as fictional as Uncle Jed’s black gold and Texas tea.

“Many of the farms on Chicago’s Far Northwest and Southwest Sides disappeared in the face of the speculative building boom of the 1920s. Industrial and residential developers began to work on suburban farmland convenient to bus, truck, and automobile traffic.”

Even Park Ridge’s official history states “The agrarian society was changed by the Industrial Revolution, and by the time of our incorporation in 1873, Park Ridge had been transformed from an agricultural community to an affluent business town.”

the G-man #343916 2007-05-13 10:00 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Not really shocking if you consider that Hillary's babysitting was done through a church youth group.

Quote:

When I graduated into Methodist Youth Fellowship, I was fortunate to have a youth minister who arranged for us living in our very comfortable, middle-class, all-white suburb of Chicago, opportunities to go into the inner city, to have exchanges with church groups of black and Hispanic youngsters, to baby- sit for the children of migrant workers who, for those of you who did not grow up around Chicago in the 1950's and can only imagine flying into O'Hare where everything looks developed, might find it hard to believe how many farm workers we would have, and our church took some responsibility for helping. We visited the residents of nursing homes; we would go to public events that would feature speeches by people we'd barely heard of like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. We discussed what our faith meant in the world, and I am so grateful for those lessons and those opportunities.

And if you do some google-ing it appears that groups in the Chicago area were helping migrant workers in the 50's.
Google

Fair play!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
you gotta get these people off of that pedestal MEM.

PJP #343918 2007-05-13 10:16 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I didn't put her on a pedastal PJP. I'm curious as to where in the previous post of mine you feel I did that?

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Well, it wasn't so much the previous post as in the 3500 before that one.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Page 14 of 66 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 65 66

Link Copied to Clipboard