Quote:

Animalman said:
I just don't see how A-Rod's vastly superior career production can be declared moot against Jeter's unquantifiable, unprovable, intangible qualities.

i've never argued to remove stats and base the award on perception. no one asks that jeter's intangibles don't discredit arod's stats, at all.

but i can't believe you're ready to ask the reverse.

do you honestly not feel there's a variance, at all? you see no non-numerical weight? does an intangible mean something doesn't exist?

there's a difference between batting with 2 outs in the 8th and no outs in the 3rd, but your stats don't reflect that. picking up slack when other players on your team are injured
doesn't come across any differently on the back of your baseball card.

stats never have told the whole story, and it doesn't make sense to expect them to.

Quote:

Animalman said:
50 homers and a 340 batting average are only large parts of the whole. You don't compare them, you compare the whole. So no, it's not challenging at all.

exactly. i would add "leadership qualities" to the comparitive whole.

Quote:

Animalman said:
I'm sure Red Sox fans feel just as strongly about Ortiz's leadership and intangibles as Yankees do Jeter's.

and yet they don't. just ask joe.

...assuming he's a fan today.

Quote:

Animalman said:
Just about every fan will agree his or her player is the best leader, and that you have to watch them every day to see it

well, i don't feel this should be based on fan perception. but i do feel there should be great value placed on the opinion of other players and coaches.

they know the game. they have pretty equal distribution over what and who they see. they also have countless experts and scouting reports giving as much statistical basis to the intangibles as possible.

giant picture