#739417 2006-09-28 3:10 AM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
First, a thank-you to Rob for adding the newest one:

Now, on the business.

We all use the graemlin/emoticon/smileys. It's evident. Some more than others. Some, not at all (Animalman!). Still, I think it's time to make this system a bit more efficient. If it's going to take up space on the server, we need to have a list of ones that are truly, and inherently useful.

Here is my list of graemlins that are, in my opinion, quite pointless. They're rarely used (except in forthcoming posts in this thread, I expect) and taking up needed space.

To wit:

• -- Come on. What, he's wearing sunglasses, so that makes it the "cool" one? Listen, either you're cool, or you're not...and using this graemlin isn't going to prove one way or the other. NOTED EXCEPTION: Wednesday is the only one "cool" enough to get away with using this at any legitimate point.

• -- Haven't we already debunked this guy with the patented Elisa rip of " ;p " ? Is there really a need for this one? The answer is no. We don't.

• -- Yeah, I know the tag word used for this is "sigh". But, does anyone read that from the expression? Does anyone care? Absolutely not. It's just the unloved bastard child of the far superior . Lose it.

• -- Other than it being the one graemlin that closely resembles PJP, I find it unneccessary since we have a far more stern, and imposing statement of anger/irritation:

• -- You eliminate THIS one, and you force Mopius to do more work, and/or stick with the square version. It's win-win, either way.

• -- Oh it's a dancing green banana. That makes it sooo much more understandable as an emotional smiley than, say, the normal yellow dancing banana. Pointless.

• -- And look...a devil version! Hilarious. No...no, wait....the word I meant to type was "redundant".

• -- And, finally, the 80's rock-hands one. Why would ANYone want this around, when the less goofy is possible? Why?

• -- Something akin to an old joke we all heard when we were three. It was funny and meaningful the first thirty seconds we heard it. After that....meh. Not needed.

• -- I love you Uschi. Harley's current sig can attest to that. However, I would love a count on how many times this has actually been used. Four? Seven? None?

• -- Why this one? Is it a precursor to ? If so, is it needed or even used?

• -- WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS THING???

• -- Hey look, it's a graemlin that is supposed to signify "dizzy" or "confused". Hey look...no one uses it. Ever.

• -- How long do I have to wait before the loop replays and the guy wipes his brow in relief again? Meanwhile, it's a generic face just staring at me. Kill it before it kills the rest of us. Really.

Now, admittedly, it's much easier to point out the flaws than the solution. Therefore, I challenge everyone to fix this.

I know you all visit other MBs. I know sometimes you see smileys that are cool, and would be useful here. So, my challenge is this:

-Steal the fucker.

-Post it here.

-Convince Rob and everyone why we need it.

See? Easy as cake. Right off, I think we need:

1) A vomit emoticon

2) A flip-off/middle-finger emoticon

3) A "no shit" sarcasm emoticon

4) A "Cunt!" emoticon (After all he's given these boards, Nowhereman deserves to be able to express himself with a graemlin)

Can anyone think of others?

So, that's my case. That's gripe. My suggestions. And my challenge. And, since I'm just springing this out of the blue, I don't know if Rob would even concede to changing anything. But, it's worth of try...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
BTW, I offer these:

Don't know what they would be used for....but, here you go nonetheless...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
I know it says it's "goatse" but it looks like "cunt!" to me:

And I like the "Bueller?" emoticon, used or not!

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
We need a vomiting icon.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:
I know it says it's "goatse" but it looks like "cunt!" to me:

More like "gape". Still, it's possible...

Quote:

And I like the "Bueller?" emoticon, used or not!

Well, maybe he has room for ALL of them?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
We need a vomiting icon.

I think I said that. Do you have one to offer?

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
no

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Then go FIND one...

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
do we get a pink username at the end of this game too?

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
No your graemlin becomes canon.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I like the dancing bananas! And the blobby thingie that jumps up and down. I vote we keep 'em!

I agree with Rex, we need a puking icon. Wow, that one would get over used quickly!

I agree with Pro, get rid of the sleeping icon, doing that will annoy Mopius.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Should be used instead of , in my opinion. The latter is horribly overused by Mx...er...uh...Mopius.

and still have untapped potential and can still be used. Especially the dizzy one. It's uses include: confusing posts, roundabout ways of explaining a point, and making fun of someone when they contradict themselves.

This can be used when no one is responding to a thread/post that you think can be a really good one. And by "you" I of course mean "me".

I agree, get rid of it.

Don't mock the nanners, except the not ripe one...that's kinda silly. Though I do like your 80's RAWK!! one Pro.

can always precede

Finally Pro, your comic book guy options? Helloooooo!!

In conclusion

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
do we get a pink username at the end of this game too?

Ask Rob. He's in charge of pinking-things. However, I think your snatch may be a lost cause...

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts

It's slow repeating but it's all I can track down right now.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
p.s. I've been campaigning for a puke (and fucking nana) emoticon for, litterally, years and Rob has never given in.

I remember haveing a really awesome one all lined up once, too.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jeremy said:
Should be used instead of , in my opinion. The latter is horribly overused by Mx...er...uh...Mopius.

and still have untapped potential and can still be used. Especially the dizzy one. It's uses include: confusing posts, roundabout ways of explaining a point, and making fun of someone when they contradict themselves.

This can be used when no one is responding to a thread/post that you think can be a really good one. And by "you" I of course mean "me".

Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda.

And yet....isn't.

Quote:

Don't mock the nanners, except the not ripe one...that's kinda silly.

They're all silly. Hit puberty.

Quote:

Though I do like your 80's RAWK!! one Pro.

Yes!!! But, it's Jeff's (Glacier)...

Quote:

can always precede

I'm starting to see a pattern of you trying to vouch for emoticons only you use. Hmmm...

Quote:

Finally Pro, your comic book guy options? Helloooooo!!

It's called "options", Jeremy. As in, I'm offering some. How about yourself?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:

It's slow repeating but it's all I can track down right now.

That works for me, really. I want to see others, too...

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:I'm starting to see a pattern of you trying to vouch for emoticons only you use. Hmmm...

He's on to me...

Quote:

It's called "options", Jeremy. As in, I'm offering some. How about yourself?

I submit to you:

and

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
TK awhile ago had ashitload of these on rob's server...too bad rob dumped 'em all.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
We need to steal the Mr T emoticon from the Natureverse.

Quote:

Jeremy said:

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
this would be a popular one for the womens forum:

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
And finally:

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Online Talkative
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
First, a thank-you to Rob for adding the newest one:

Now, on the business.

We all use the graemlin/emoticon/smileys. It's evident. Some more than others. Some, not at all (Animalman!). Still, I think it's time to make this system a bit more efficient. If it's going to take up space on the server, we need to have a list of ones that are truly, and inherently useful.

Here is my list of graemlins that are, in my opinion, quite pointless. They're rarely used (except in forthcoming posts in this thread, I expect) and taking up needed space.

To wit:

• -- Come on. What, he's wearing sunglasses, so that makes it the "cool" one? Listen, either you're cool, or you're not...and using this graemlin isn't going to prove one way or the other. NOTED EXCEPTION: Wednesday is the only one "cool" enough to get away with using this at any legitimate point.

• -- Haven't we already debunked this guy with the patented Elisa rip of " ;p " ? Is there really a need for this one? The answer is no. We don't.

• -- Yeah, I know the tag word used for this is "sigh". But, does anyone read that from the expression? Does anyone care? Absolutely not. It's just the unloved bastard child of the far superior . Lose it.

• -- Other than it being the one graemlin that closely resembles PJP, I find it unneccessary since we have a far more stern, and imposing statement of anger/irritation:

• -- You eliminate THIS one, and you force Mopius to do more work, and/or stick with the square version. It's win-win, either way.

• -- Oh it's a dancing green banana. That makes it sooo much more understandable as an emotional smiley than, say, the normal yellow dancing banana. Pointless.

• -- And look...a devil version! Hilarious. No...no, wait....the word I meant to type was "redundant".

• -- And, finally, the 80's rock-hands one. Why would ANYone want this around, when the less goofy is possible? Why?

• -- Something akin to an old joke we all heard when we were three. It was funny and meaningful the first thirty seconds we heard it. After that....meh. Not needed.

• -- I love you Uschi. Harley's current sig can attest to that. However, I would love a count on how many times this has actually been used. Four? Seven? None?

• -- Why this one? Is it a precursor to ? If so, is it needed or even used?

• -- WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS THING???

• -- Hey look, it's a graemlin that is supposed to signify "dizzy" or "confused". Hey look...no one uses it. Ever.

• -- How long do I have to wait before the loop replays and the guy wipes his brow in relief again? Meanwhile, it's a generic face just staring at me. Kill it before it kills the rest of us. Really.

Now, admittedly, it's much easier to point out the flaws than the solution. Therefore, I challenge everyone to fix this.

I know you all visit other MBs. I know sometimes you see smileys that are cool, and would be useful here. So, my challenge is this:

-Steal the fucker.

-Post it here.

-Convince Rob and everyone why we need it.

See? Easy as cake. Right off, I think we need:

1) A vomit emoticon

2) A flip-off/middle-finger emoticon

3) A "no shit" sarcasm emoticon

4) A "Cunt!" emoticon (After all he's given these boards, Nowhereman deserves to be able to express himself with a graemlin)

Can anyone think of others?

So, that's my case. That's gripe. My suggestions. And my challenge. And, since I'm just springing this out of the blue, I don't know if Rob would even concede to changing anything. But, it's worth of try...

Epic Take!

One problem: Rob's children are "Graemlins", not "emoticons".

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:

LOVE IT!

Quote:

Jeremy said:
I submit to you:

The "G-Man" emoticon?

Quote:

and

LOVE IT!

Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
We need to steal the Mr T emoticon from the Natureverse.

Yes...

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
gay:

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:

Quote:

can't believe no one yet said:
or Rob's blog!

Quote:

and then i would have said:
that guy's name!

giant picture
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
AH HA HA HA!! HA HA HA HA HA! Is it just going that fast on my computer?

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
Rob's children are "Graemlins", not "emoticons".

you're all my children!

all of you.

giant picture
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:

Heh! Too bad it's not animated...

Quote:

Jeremy said:
And finally:

Yeah, I've seen this elsewhere. It's a tad over the top, in my opinion...

Quote:

MisterJLA said:
Epic Take!

One problem: Rob's children are "Graemlins", not "emoticons".

What, exactly, is the difference between the names? I jumped back and forth using both, as I thought they were just the same thing...

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
Quote:

MisterJLA said:

you're all my children!

all of you.

Awwww...that is sweet, Rob.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:
AH HA HA HA!! HA HA HA HA HA! Is it just going that fast on my computer?

That's fucking great!! We need that one...

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:

For example:

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
The "G-Man" emoticon?

Now you're on to something.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
you're all my children!

all of you.

Hey, you up for all of this? Or, are we just wasting our time here?

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
Quote:

MisterJLA said:

you're all my children!

all of you.

Awwww...that is sweet, Rob.

That's pretty gay buddy.

15000+ posts
Online Talkative
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
I jumped back and forth using both

I have a confession to make: I just read the thread title...

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Now, on the business.

blah blah blah

i'll agree some are unnecessary.

i never wanted to get into the habbit of adding graemlins that weren't emotions.

like, you could be feeling innocent, so you'd post

but, you're never actually feeling unripened dancing banana enough to warrant posting

and, also, i dislike how some of the emoti...mlins are too tall to actually envelope in lines of text. like the shatner face or the koolaid man.

if ever you're saying those in a sentence, your sentence lines get all fucked up.

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Now, on the business.

blah blah blah

actually... i'd quite like to see a "yeah yeah yeah" or "blah blah blah" graemlin for just sucha case! like that demoralizing thing you do in person, where you turn the other person's argument into a hand puppet gesture. graemlin that!

giant picture
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard