Originally Posted By: MEM
Nah. it's pretty well documented that when he became President he presented it as a twofer.

I can believe he told that to Hillary (and others) but is it really beyond the realm of possibility that he was lying and/or just telling her what she wanted to hear?

Bill has always been a clever guy, no one can deny that. However, lately he's been making a lot of "gaffes" that hurt his wife's campaign. Given that he's normally an effective communicator you have to at least consider that he might be sabotaging her campaign, even if only subconciously.

And, in fact, today's press has storiesthat even some Clinton loyalists are starting to wonder about this:
  • Hillary Clinton ordered her husband Friday to keep his mouth shut and stop making excuses, which compounded her false claim that she landed "under sniper fire" on a goodwill trip to Bosnia as First Lady.

"He doesn't know when to shut up," a Clinton administration veteran groaned.

Loyalists and veterans of the Clinton White House were perplexed, comparing it to racial remarks Bill Clinton made during the South Carolina primary that hurt the campaign.

"Much of what he does baffles me. Sometimes I can't tell if he is trying to sabotage the campaign or is just off the range. I thought they had him on a short leash, but I guess not," said author and former Clinton White House aide Keith Boykin.

"My hope is it's just another short-lived distraction, but in any case, I don't know what he was thinking," added a Clinton backer.